Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Asked to justify Hourly rate

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Like others have said, I can also see both sides, however, I agree with the principal that it's the price for the job not the time. It doesn't matter whether it's seen as unskilled work, the main fact is that we often do jobs that customers either Can't, won't or would rather not do themselves.

In my opinion the price they pay isn't the bare bones of what they feel is justified based on their own work or our material cost, but the price for convenience of not doing it themselves. That is the part that cannot be quantified easily and carries the price premium.

Motorway service stations are much more expensive for the same products, but we pay because the alternative isn't convenient or practical.

You were put in an awkward spot, but I dare say it might be different should it happen again.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I quoted £400 to Softwash K render big detached place with few extras

Agreed price - did great job - wife delighted -

Husband did not pay for few days - When I sent reminder he said ' what houurly rate did we agree '

' we didn't - we agreed set price for job ' ???

Money turned up in bank few days later but no text back he obviously ****** off I earned £400 in a day

Enjoying this thread /emoticons/smile.png)

All members have made very valid points:thumbsup:

My prices are non-negotiable - end of!

Bartering has never factored into my business - the price is the price, is the price.

Having said that I often throw in a freebie for a customer, do a couple of inside windows for them while the kettles brewing etc - they appreciate it & I feel good about it, woe betide they start demanding freebies and/or price reduction:666:.

Jog on would be my response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about everyone else but I run my business Professionally that takes a lot of Skill, advertising, selling yourself, organising work. good telephone manner, window Cleaning..... Well thats just one element of the business which is also skilled if I stopped a passers-by by and said can you clean that window with this pole it would be a mess I guess you gotta be trained.

Agreed, though I think you missed my point. Sure we have a few / some expenses for tools (just like an electrician has screwdrivers and such) but we don't resell products (cable, outlets, etc) and also make money that way.
your right i didn't read it that way

I thought most of you would comment as you did. I felt the same at first. I can see his side though. £50 for an hours work is very good money. So I did go back today with my part timer. 40 mins all in knocking for £. Nice polite chat cash in hand an a ten pound tip. I won't take any more funny biz from him or he's definitely gone. I know most of you won't agree but Im happy to take his cash every month. At least until he asks me to clean the green house roof, that will be an interesting chat.

I've never charged £50 per hour for labour only in my life

May have earned it if a quoted job has gone well but that's different

Personally I have no problem at all with bartering / asking for discount

It's a stupid part of British culture where we think the price is fixed and it's rude to negotiate

Every where else In the world the price is negotiable

You all expect a deal - from your mobile phone to your local sandwich shop

FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME there is no hourly rate in window cleaning it's all about price

How much water

Travelling between jobs fuel

Wot you think it's worth

Time wot is your time worth

If you want an hourly rate go and work in TESCOS

YOURSELF EMPLOYED get what you can the max it's yes or no dimple

I would justify it very simply by saying "because I can"

End of the day if all your work is 30 quid an hour then the next step should be aiming for 40 an hour and so on. so it's not a matter of justifying it, it's just a natural progression for a business.

The poster who said refine, refine, refine got it spot on. Do what works for you. If you earn enough to pay the bills why not up the prices if you can get them. If you get higher prices then it's :thumbsup:, if you don't another opportunity will arise to get that higher price.

That may be so with products e.g electrical goods That doesn't apply at all in our business

My mate for instance -charges more than me but he does a **** job
That being the case! only 1 fool there. Until they get a better windy anyway.

What i meant regarding the price is, it is what it is. Drop your price in and your not out to rob anyone but you want what you think its worth and if you really want to explain , then show them a pic of your kit and that dont come free, for the use of said kit,that the price is what ut is.

So it isney

[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Thing is, there are windy out there doing as good a job as me and charging less. Bit thankfully the customer doesn't initially buy the job, they buy YOU. If they like you, they'll be ok with your prices.

Problem arises when you've built a relationship with the wife, and the husband doesn't know you and first thing he compares is your price. Then you get these problems.

That being the case! only 1 fool there. Until they get a better windy anyway.What i meant regarding the price is, it is what it is. Drop your price in and your not out to rob anyone but you want what you think its worth and if you really want to explain , then show them a pic of your kit and that dont come free, for the use of said kit,that the price is what ut is.

So it isney

[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Eh ? So I'm the fool ? Why is that then ?

Back