I'm new to WFP and wondered have I set mine up correctly

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by topcats, Jul 11, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. topcats

topcats Guest

Hi all, I have just bought a second hand wfp set up with no instruction as to set it up, so using common sense I'm trying to set it up myself and I need to know if I've done it correctly and have a couple of queries throughout. this is how i've set it up, I installed the water tank to the bulkhead using metal bars and threaded bar (it is solid with no movement) then I installed a ball and **** to the top of the tank and connected the ro system to this. query no 1 when I attach the water hose to fill the tank through the ro system do I leave the waste water tap on throughout the filling process or is the flushing process done periodically?? next i connected the pump to the bottom of the tank and connected the other side to the di vessell and then on to the hose. second query, my pump has four wires coming out of it and I read somewhere that when connecting to the varistream I have to disconnect some of the wires from the pump which wires do I disconnect? is it the ones on the top or bottom of the pump? thats basically it Have I installed this correctly or is it back to front? any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. topcats

topcats Guest

anyone know???
  3. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011

The Waste valve should be closed to when filling the system. Not sure what size tank you have, but it would probably be good practice to flush the waste water for about a minute every time you start to fill the tank - will look after your RO membrane.

As a point - if you have a ball valve fitted, this will stop the tank filling, but will not stop the RO system filtering through the pre filters, and then sending all the water as waste water. You need to install a water cut off unit ( try this one from cleaning spot: http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/200_GPD_RO_Systems_and_spare_parts.html - last item, Auto shut off. You could use your ball valve, but need the block, which shuts off the water supply to the RO system when the tank is full. Also means the system is not pressurised when the tank is full)
    With the pump wires - depending which pump you have, there is usually a pressure switch connected on the pump - which has 2 wires - probably both red going to it, and the other end has a black & a red. Some flow controllers need you to disconnect the pressure switch. if this is the case, disconnect the 2 red wires that go to the pressure switch, and join them together - make sure well insulated after.

Otherwise it sounds as though it should all work well.

One final thought - when you install the pump, fit it as low as possible to prevent air locks, and make it easier to prime.

Hope this helps,

4. I use a 40/40 low pressure membrane and have the waste valve open slightly at all times as this is what ou are supposed to do according to the guys at cleaning spot. The less the waste is open the less pure the water will be going into the tank.
    As for the four wires Flipfast has this covered.

5. topcats

topcats Guest

cheers Dave managed to install it and it seems to be working except that my pump is working (the controller is going through the phases as i can hear the pump speeding up and slowing down) but doesn't seem to be pumping through to the di vessel, does it need priming and if so how do i prime it? it is a shurflo 8000 series. hold that thought a mo just read somewhere that if fitting vertically it needs to be mounted with the motor pointing upwards, will turn it around and check for any kinks in the pipework and get back to you all cheers
  6. topcats

topcats Guest

seems to be sorted now thanks all
  7. nearlyclean

Dec 20, 2010