Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to tackle this?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TWC

Hi this is only my 4th customer so very green. Quoted for and got the job but one element was cleaning this sky light and windows above a first floor extension. Seemed fairly straight forward to ladder up onto roof and simply get them cleaned. Agreed it all with the lady of the house so happy days. Turned up to do the job and the husband says no as worried I'm going through the roof. Looking at the construction I'm sure it would be fine (I'm only 11 stone) and how else would they have installed the skylight if you can't stand on the roof? Anyway if I can't convince him how would you tackle it and the windows the photos are taken through? I see posts about using a Harris pole but the thought of using it for the first time through a window in a downward angle doesn't scream quality outcome to me. Is there an easier way that I'm just not seeing?

View attachment 4814

View attachment 4811

View attachment 4812

View attachment 4813

hmmm yes I have a few of them....

one I er...havent seen yet...but suppose it will come my way..

another I can walk around but still causes lots of problems as its very dirty and in full sun...

another over the road I used to soap and hose off but...

without crossing swords as this is the trad section not so sure without getting up close and personal...

the roof is probs well okay for you to walk on but if the custy says then the custy says...

the trouble with glass and tap water is well known ...so yes quality control is very very hard...wait for daveyboy to see this post as hes the expert .../emoticons/biggrin.png

Can't see how else other than getting up there. Too awkward for pole out the window! I bet someone on here will come up with an ingenious method.

I've a custy similar to yours, let's me climb on his flat roof to clean the window above but if he's out won't let me use my ladder from neighbours back garden up on his flat roof so I can get to the back of his house. what can you do :rolleyes:

If they won't let you walk on roof just say well the rain can wash em! Don't muck about leaning out that window

If that was me I would have had the craic and asked if it's self cleaning glass and self cleaning plastic. If he said no then I would have told him he should have had it installed then and then just walked away. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Tell him it's fine to walk on (because it is) and then get up there and fall through the roof,

No, seriously it's perfectly safe, tell him to stop being the h&s patrol, I do loads like that, it's got to be pretty solid to hold it up anyway

without mentioning the power of pure.:eek:

..in the trad section...maybe time to head back to the good old shammy leather...

me liked and misses the good old shammy../emoticons/biggrin.png

If custy don't want you going up there then say you can't clean it. Simples. Something like that can't be cleaned properly without getting on the roof. The problem is in his court.

yep I disagree with tuffers...now dont go funny on me...but..
cherry picker:thumbsup:enough said..
Ha ha, logistical nightmare just for a dome...

If it was me, I'd say;

'Look mate, stop being a woofter, let me get up there and clean it, the roof will be fine, stop being a h&s nonce' :rofl:

But then that's just me, my customers never even question me standing on flat roofs and garages etc, you can tell when there strong enough, and that defo looks strong enough!

yep I disagree with tuffers...now dont go funny on me...but..
cherry picker:thumbsup:enough said..
Nah, cherry picker too small. He'll need one of these

crane-coldharbour-lane-03.jpg

thanks for reminding me about the dodgy one over the road ...yes you can get soft roof under felt but you can usually feel it..

I have told the neighbour in question and I know its there as usual they totally ignored me telling them and will wait til the water does its work...

I had to roof walk today and really hated it even though I have done it many times before if one of those tiles goes Im fecked as they have had the lot painted and so I could never match a replacement tile up

custys who would have em...

What a great forum this is. Thanks for all the replies

At least it wasn't just me being green although hadn't thought of using the high reach crane /emoticons/smile.png. Will have to have a good chat with the custy tomorrow

By the way, I've got to clean the inside of one of these soon, can anyone recommend a good tool to use on a pole? I'm worried about drips down the walls you see.

never done one yet always do a runner...

dont do it in the sun...:eek:

last one on a conny quoted £60 because of the extra insurance...all gone quiet...:whistle:

neil just done a cracker...

think he used a microfibre pad on pole..

chemical spray first then...yep they get really really bad up there..

yeh had one today outside...dont know what the heck it was all little white spots...

today was just a waste of time..but...

theres always tomorrow.../emoticons/biggrin.png

chemical spray first then...yep they get really really bad up there..
yeh had one today outside...dont know what the heck it was all little white spots...

today was just a waste of time..but...

theres always tomorrow.../emoticons/biggrin.png
Cheers. I reckon that'll probs be the best way.

Back