Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Extra labour

Aqua-pure Portadown

Hi

Could someone give me a bit of info regarding using another worker to lend a hand ,ie - is there a way of getting someone to help me with work without employers insurance ,tax ,and insurance .

Can you get round this by getting someone to work for a price for certain work ie-gutter clean .

Thanks in advance !!

you could try subbing the work to another self employed windy on a price per job basis , trust would obviously be an also

I was doing an external clean yesterday and was having a chat with the customer as you do.

The lady said a chap actualy quoted more than me. After giving her the price and she said it was too much so the chap dropped the price by 60 squid and said he would get his two apprentices to do the work instead but added they are uninsured.:confused:

Needless to say I got the job and I worked out dearer in the end as she did not want any old tom, **** or harry to work that was not insured to carry out the work.

Funny thing was she never asked me if I was insured. By law if you employ workers you have to have employer liability insurance so he shot himself in the foot bigtime./emoticons/biggrin.png

Hi @Aqua\-pure Portadown it's a legal requirement I'm afraid, even if you're subbing it out labour-only and they have their own insurance. However, if you use bonafide sub-contractors, you don't need employers' liability.

For clarity, bonafide sub-contracting is where you use an external firm, you pay them for a days work and they send any one of their employees on the day to complete the work. They'll work under their own instruction, with their own tools and materials and under their own company name. Anything other than this type of sub-contracting is labour-only and HMRC will class them as employees!

A good question to ask yourself if you're unsure on labour-only vs. bonafide is, 'If somebody didn't turn up to the job, whose responsibility would it be to send a replacement?' If the answer is your responsibility it's likely to be labour-only. If it's their responsibility to send another employee it's likely bonafide. Hope that helps?

Funny thing was she never asked me if I was insured. By law if you employ workers you have to have employer liability insurance so he shot himself in the foot bigtime./emoticons/biggrin.png
Two apprentices who are uninsured... he could be in for a nasty visit from the HSE soon! Fines can be up to £2500 per 'employee' per day it's found they've worked without it!

employers liability insurance is not expensive when you compare it to someone injuring themselves and taking you to court.

Back