Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice needed - local windy gives away his business for free...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

StorminNorman

Got a call today from a local window cleaner. He said he had a bad car accident recently and his back is in bits and he will never be able to do windows again. And he offers me his whole round - 300+ houses and 3 business customers - for FREE.

I am speechless and dont know what would be the right way to do in this situation as I dont want to be a ***** and take it for free.

I think I am gonna offer him 10% of whatever I am earning from his ex-customers for the next 6 month.

What would you do?

Take it, offer to rent it from him for 3 months @20% as a goodwill gesture until he's fit enough to do some type of work. If he refuses any payment then accept it and put him on your Xmas card list for life

Go for it but make sure you look after him, he obviously doesn't want to let his customers down and wants someone to take off from where he left it.

Maybe you could talk to the customers as you are going round and the ones that really like him tell them to pay into his account, you will get a lot of respect, you could get another van and get someone to do that round then it's coming out of there wages not yours

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

3 x value is lowest going rates these days.

Once you verify the work and value the 25% of the take untill 3x value has been paid.

Also 300 houses is a good size round on it's jack. Be sure as to how you're going to incorporate the extra work load.

3 x value is lowest going rates these days.
Once you verify the work and value the 25% of the take untill 3x value has been paid.

Also 300 houses is a good size round on it's jack. Be sure as to how you're going to incorporate the extra work load.
What do you mean by 3 x value, Green ?

Is it a monthly value or yearly?

Lets say there are 300 houses on 8 weekly cleans for an average of 15€ per clean.

What value is it then? And how much a round of that size would be worth if I was to buy one?

As for the extra job - most of the cleans here in Ireland are 8 weekly so it can be done if I spread them out over a two monthly basis.

What do you mean by 3 x value, Green ?Is it a monthly value or yearly?

Lets say there are 300 houses on 8 weekly cleans for an average of 15€ per clean.

What value is it then? And how much a round of that size would be worth if I was to buy one?

As for the extra job - most of the cleans here in Ireland are 8 weekly so it can be done if I spread them out over a two monthly basis.
Works out at those prices value is 13500 (4500 per 8 weeks x3) so if splitting it offer either 12 payments of 1100 or 24 of 550 (25% of take being 4500). @Green Pro Clean Ltd will probs prove me wrong as maths not my strong point

Works out at those prices value is 13500 (4500 per 8 weeks x3) so if splitting it offer either 12 payments of 1100 or 24 of 550 (25% of take being 4500). @Green Pro Clean Ltd will probs prove me wrong as maths not my strong point
Ok got it.

Well - have to say I would never go and buy a round of 300 so I am not prepared to pay the lad 13.200..

And it is something he is giving away for free anyway.

The question here is just take it and send him a Christmas card or offer as a good will 10% for the next 6 month of whatever I am earning from his rounds.

Also there will be no introductions, no detailed customer reports or anything, just an excel file with names, phone numbers and addresses..

and how many are gone from him already with the poor boy being off work for the last 2 month?..

He just made you considerably wealthier than you would of been come January... I've bought 2 rounds this year, one I paid x4.8 and the other x4.3 (which was an absolute steal for it) standard is 5 and probably 6 soon. it works on monthly value... (so if one house is every 2 months you just calculate half its value.. monthly, it's whole value...etc)

That is £2250 per month round here and as mentioned you'd pay x5 as standard.

If standard in Ireland is 2 monthly I'd still work it out monthly to get a figure...

Anyway he's gifted it to you, enjoy the good fortune I can't imagine many on here would grumble... I would however calculate a fair drink for the fella for bestowing that good fortune on me ( I think x2 and everyone's a winner)

I would give the guy a percentage for a few months, no need to be greedy and just take it for free. See how it works out for you and then decide how much to give him.

I say give him a percentage of each month for few months as to say thanks at end if the day he has given his round away he could of just left his round to no one and left customers without a windy each month. Even tho this guy had injury he could of sold it if he wanted but he didn't his choice I say I would give him a percentage as good will and an thank you

works on monthly value...
Errmm.... not round here. It works on a 'Per clean value'.

I too never buy rounds but if someone called me out the blue and said heres £4.5k every 8 weeks for naff all I would sure as hell make sure he was taken care of.

You will find out on first cleans the true value of it and in a 'had an accident' situation his customers wont have flooded away especially if eight weekly anyhow.

Karma is karma 10% is an insult IMO.

Either take it for nothing and be that guy or do the right thing and look after someone that has not thrown you a bone, he's thrown you the whole cow.

Do you really think it unfair to part with £1125 every 8 weeks for two yers when you will end up some £3375 better off every 8 weeks and then £4.5k every 8 weeks for life?

Still it's your offer and your call. All the above is just my OPINION.

I too never buy rounds but if someone called me out the blue and said heres £4.5k every 8 weeks for naff all I would sure as hell make sure he was taken care of.

You will find out on first cleans the true value of it and in a 'had an accident' situation his customers wont have flooded away especially if eight weekly anyhow.

Either take it for nothing and be that guy or do the right thing and look after someone that has not thrown you a bone, he's thrown you the whole cow.

Do you really think it unfair to part with £1125 every 8 weeks for two yers when you will end up some £3375 better off every 8 weeks and then £4.5k every 8 weeks for life?

Oops!! My mistake... I thought England started.. and finished in London. [emoji15][emoji85][emoji23] (just joking!!)

Obviously the same maths though as we both end up with 4.5k every 2 months... but down here it's the monthly that we base our value on.

Just splitting hairs... give the guy a drink!! Lol

Or don't...

Last edited by a moderator:

You obviously know loads about this business so your the last person I want to question... but! the reason we base on a monthly value is because say you agree on x3... well if the guy does a house every month, you've paid x3... (you get that money back after 3 cleans) now if on his round he does a house every 2 months and you give the same x3 as agreed it now takes you 6 months to get your money back and so on... it's the only fair barometer for the buyer and seller.

if you calculate all cleans at their monthly value you get the correct outcome.

I know I'm new so go easy on me... but this seems about a forum where together we can get the right answer?! And as I've learnt lots in the past few weeks from these threads I thought it was a valid point [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

The main thing I would take into account is that a lot of the work night have to be dropped, I mean if it's all underpriced and cash collections then you need to stop cash collections and up the prices so you could lose 50% of it off the bat. why I won't buy a round.

I would have no problem giving him snome money but if it was offered for free I would take it and sort through it first then gI've him an amount what I felt it was worth

@StorminNorman is the injured windy able to do downs at all?

Just thinking obviously it's a lot of added work for you and he may take up some kind of employment for you here to help him too.

So I went to meet him today. Got invited inside, his wife made us a nice cup of tea and we had a chat.

Turns out he has been doing only part time window cleaning for the last 10 years and his customers are not 300 as he previously stated but around 150 and about half of them are only twice a year.. and most of them are not on any sort of file or book but he knows where they live and he is gonna introduce me to them.

Still good and he is a nice chap and he was just looking for someone serious to keep his ex customers happy.

So he is giving it away to me and I told him that I will pay him 10% of whatever I am earning from his customers for a year on 3 monthly basis cash. He was very happy about that.

So am I.

Latest Posts

Back