Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How To Save Fuel.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gmeister

Hi there,

I thought it would be a good idea to post this, as fuel prices are going up, more of our hard earned cash is going out of our pockets!

It is not very comprehensive, alot of it is commen sencse, but do we all do them?

Here is a list if things we should get into a habit, of which I do EVERY time I go to fill up!

• Fill your tyres with air to the right PSI, How often do you check this!? (you can get your tyres filled with nitrogen, not sure if worth the £4 though)
  • Check your oil level by checking your dipstick, again how often do you do this? If it is on MIN then it takes a litre of oil to reach max mark
  • I always check other levels like screen wash and coolant/antifreeze etc etc

Other things we can do to save fuel.

• Drive at the correct speed will help (ahem /emoticons/tongue.png ) and think of the rev as ££(pound) signs
  • Slow down along time before a red light, that way you have some momentum, when it changes to green rather then brake lats minute.
  • Turn that air con off! this uses alot of fuel! and so does having heating on full wack, puts stress on your engine
  • Keep your windows up, and if your going to use air con, use it sparengly
  • Empty your boot, if your car is full of stuff like its your office, full of stuff your carrying around you no longer need there then take out of your car!
  • We are all window cleaners so we need a roof rack, but if your planning a long journey, take that roof rack off!

Having your car serviced regulary helps too!

For me personally I service my car myself and use a decant oil not skimping on the £10 cheap oil, and every nown again use the more expensive fuel to keep my engine at its best.

Also use the correct oil grade if your doing the oil change yourself

That's what's happening with service engineers round the country all fleet now up 20mpg takes ages to get to jobs but its big savings on fleets

on hills i just roll and on straights, ill pick up speed then roll till i get down to 50mph and do the same again, thats keepin the revs down lol if you run a diesel put cooking oil in, my uncle does this, he goes to the local chippy and they give him used oil which he strains and filters out. makes u feel hungry tho stood behind him

Cheap as chips the oil from the chippy. Great advise. The slowing down and not braking suddenly at lights is a real fuel saver and getting the car oil changed.

When approaching zebra crossings, close eyes and beep horn. That way you don't have to stop, and you can save a bit more fuel*

*Please don't actually try this!

There are so many way to save fuel for example use the air-con sparingly,don't let your engine idle,minimise airodynamice drag etc

good advice

how does the closed window thing work?

when I had a mpg computer, the very worst thing of all was hard accelerating up hills, it went down to literally single figures mpg

one thing i will add to this great post....i generally try to drive at 60mph....dont know if its still true...but on new car brochures that was the most economical speed according to the manufactures and of course it is in thier interest to get the greatest mpg down.....also if poss....try to warm up the engine as fast as poss first thing.....but you try to keep at sixty these days..../emoticons/biggrin.png

My renault master van is shaped like a brick & has two fixed pulldown racks one for my ladders the other a box for my gutter poles all loaded. It's has tanks & tools I need every day in the back so not alot I can do about reducing weight either.

The only things I can do to save fuel is reduce the amount of mileage I do in a week by being cleaver and not having a lead foot.

I think they call that

Eco-Safe Driving

dg_078821.gif
How to be an eco-safe driver video, information & free leaflet download.

Be an ‘eco-safe’ driver or rider and contribute to road safety as well as reducing your fuel consumption and vehicle emissions. Making changes to your driving or riding style will also save you money. From September 2008, anyone sitting a driving test will also get feedback on their eco-safe driving manner.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVLN1IKA7YU[/media]

Eco-safe driving and riding as part of the practical driving test

From 10 September 2008, if you're sitting a driving test, you’ll also be assessed on your ability to drive or ride in a way that shows eco-safe driving techniques.

This assessment is not part of the existing assessment criteria for the practical test and you will not fail your test because you don’t demonstrate eco-safe driving techniques.

The driving examiner will assess control and planning, and at the end of the test will give you feedback, as guidance, on how efficiently you’re driving.

Control

Always try to use the vehicle controls as smoothly as possible, with particular attention to:

• starting and moving away
  • accelerating
  • using gears
  • driving at an appropriate speed

This reduces wear and tear on your vehicle and will help in reducing CO2.

Planning

Reduce harmful emissions by anticipating road traffic conditions and acting in good time, rather than reacting to them at the last moment, especially:

• showing hazard awareness and planning
  • making use of engine braking
  • stopping the engine when appropriate

Tips for ‘eco-safe’ driving and riding

Follow these tips as a guide to safe driving or riding for economy:

• check your tyres regularly and keep at recommended pressure
  • don’t carry unnecessary weight
  • remove roof-rack or luggage boxes when not needed to reduce air resistance
  • don’t exceed speed limits, accelerate gently
  • consider using cruise control where it would be appropriate
  • turn off your engine if you’re likely to have a prolonged wait
  • use air conditioning only when you need to
  • plan your route to avoid known congestion points
  • try to travel during off-peak times

Further information on eco-safe driving and riding is available in the leaflet ‘Eco-Safe Driving - a guide to safe driving/riding for economy’. This is handed to candidates at the end of their driving test or can be downloaded.

How times have changed as I use to be a boy racer?

Last edited by a moderator:
My renault master van is shaped like a brick & has two fixed pulldown racks one for my ladders the other a box for my gutter poles all loaded. It's has tanks & tools I need every day in the back so not alot I can do about reducing weight either.

How about reducing YOUR weight....bet you've gained a few lbs since your 'boy racer' days /emoticons/tongue.png:p:p :rofl:.

I've gained about 4 stone since my youth. I use to have a six pack too but now it's more of a keg /emoticons/biggrin.png

How about reducing YOUR weight....bet you've gained a few lbs since your 'boy racer' days /emoticons/tongue.png:p:p :rofl:.

planning your route / work / round is the most important for me also instead of keeping the van as light as possible better check you ve got everything you need in there - you definitely don't want to get on ladder to realize that you left the mop in the shed : )

oops do that a lot sdrah....try as i can...went gardening and forgot my brush oops...so i just went and bought another from the shops to save going home...also discovered i had left my hedge trimmer on the last job so i had to improvise with edge cutters...always forgetting something....im too :eek:ldy:

also drive around in circles a lot....well all these country lanes look the same....half the time i drive somewhere and only realise i wasnt going there when its too late...

the best of all ...is forgetting to put on my ladders....and the mrs waving me off to work.../emoticons/biggrin.png

what a great post must add my bit

I now dont have roof rack on my van so bought short triple sits in van ideal mainly only used for getting on flat roofs and the odd gutters

thought not having roof rack would cut down on fuel,

also only collect once per week

Back