Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best And Quickest Way To Secure Ladders

WCF

Help Support WCF:

essex boy

I am a WFP person through and through but like all Window Cleaners there are times when I have to get my ladder off of the rack.

I used to have the proper ladder clamps that span around as I wanted to look smart but presently I use the elastic bungee's and permenantly tie one end to my roof rack and quickly wrap them through the ladder as tightly as I can as it is the quickest method I can find.

My question is this - what is the quickest way or best way to secure ladders to the roofrack?

Is there a quick tie method or has someone invented a clamp?

I ask because whilst bungees are quick they occassionally spring off and damage the paintwork and are not always safe if one slips and yesterday one snapped whilst I was driving and the front end of my ladder was doing a dance on my roof!

Elastic bungee's are the quickest way to lose ladders for sure as so may ppl have found out when they get nicked of fall off whilst driving.

Ladder clamps are a lot slower to take ladders on/off the van but for me they are the safest way of securing ladders on roof bars/racks. I also padlock the ladders to the ladder clamps when not being used.

Elastic bungee's are the quickest way to lose ladders for sure as so may ppl have found out when they get nicked of fall off whilst driving.
Ladder clamps are a lot slower to take ladders on/off the van but for me they are the safest way of securing ladders on roof bars/racks. I also padlock the ladders to the ladder clamps when not being used.
I wasn't so worried about them being nicked but more about speed of getting them on and off. no one locks their ladder round where I live and for the past week I have left mine on my front drive (asking to be nicked) and they have just sat there. In fact I never lock my van and often take my gear out to be cleaned, go indoors and fall asleep so it sits on the drive all night.
Stupid I know.

What about this?

Ladder%20clamps.jpg

The Rhino SafeClamp incorporates strength, speed and style to provide a revolutionary strong ladder clamping system. The Rhino SafeClamp employs a composite beam structure and stainless steel anchor hook to provide maximum strength, speed and corrosion resistance. The innovative one touch clamping method is five times faster than traditional screw down ladder clamps. Anti-theft security is provided by integral key locks. The Rhino Safe Clamp ensures a strong and safe solution for fastening down ladders to your roof rack or bars. SET INCLUDES 1 PAIR ONLY Roof bars NOT included. FREE U.K Mainland delivery.

http://www.mobileinstallationsolutions.co.uk/Rhino-Lockable-Safe-Clamp-Ladder-Clamps-pair-RAS21.html

I use bungees as well, I only tie them down after Ive finished for the day though. I can go down the motorway way at 60pmh and they dont come off stupid I know. When I use to work for a company we were going down the motor way way at 75pmh and still never came off that was going down hill as well. It would take a lot for them to come off

As for bungees don't buy the cheap ones you say in pound shop or pound stretchers look for premium quality ones. They last and work a million times better. None of the other window cleaners lock there ladders down about here no need to really

I do as I carry 1k worth of ladders on the roof of my van so yes I lock then up /emoticons/biggrin.png

I use bungees as well, I only tie them down after Ive finished for the day though. I can go down the motorway way at 60pmh and they dont come off stupid I know. When I use to work for a company we were going down the motor way way at 75pmh and still never came off that was going down hill as well. It would take a lot for them to come off
As for bungees don't buy the cheap ones you say in pound shop or pound stretchers look for premium quality ones. They last and work a million times better. None of the other window cleaners lock there ladders down about here no need to really

I use bungees all the time now. Haven't had a problem since I've had a proper roof rack. I've got the spin tie down ones but the take forever. Bungees all the way

As tuffers said, I put gt85 on my clamps, just hold the threaded bit at the top, and usually 1 spin takes it then tighten.. Bungie cords would save you a massive 4-5 seconds!!

I wouldn't use bungies again after my ladders fell off, luckily no1 was close behind me or it could have been disastrous!

I seen a pair of clamps on eBay for only £15..

I have a pair but guess I need 2. Because I only had one pair I had to stack my huge array of ladders (2)!

If I needed the bottom one it meant spinning the clamps and then moving the top ladder which was too time consuming so I put one either side which made it easier the used bungees as I did not have two sets of clamps

In the absence of a spare 100 quid for rhino clamps I will buy another set of clamps and do it the proper way and take your advice.

The bungees will be relegated to the box of unwanted WFP bits in the garage.

Indeed essex boys as it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just remember to double check you have put them both on. Unlike me on more than one occasion I have driven down the road with one of the ladder claps still resting on the van roof. One time I even drove about a mile with neither of them fitted so the only thing holding my triple set of ladders was the weight of them resting on the roof bars. Mind you I do drive old man slow so thank god they never fell off. Must be my age :wacko:

I have a pair but guess I need 2. Because I only had one pair I had to stack my huge array of ladders (2)!If I needed the bottom one it meant spinning the clamps and then moving the top ladder which was too time consuming so I put one either side which made it easier the used bungees as I did not have two sets of clamps

In the absence of a spare 100 quid for rhino clamps I will buy another set of clamps and do it the proper way and take your advice.

The bungees will be relegated to the box of unwanted WFP bits in the garage.

Might treat myself to a pair too hazlad /emoticons/wink.png

Even though normal ladder claps are ok those would be much quicker for me especially when having the driver door open in the road as I stand on the inner sill to reach to put them on/off so less chance of blocking traffic.

Never used anything but bungees, use 4 on each ladder, but i do like the look off the rhino clamps, may just invest in a set !!!!!!1

Even though normal ladder claps are ok those would be much quicker for me especially when having the driver door open in the road as I stand on the inner sill to reach to put them on/off so less chance of blocking traffic.
Any reason why you can't put the ladders on the passenger side of the vehicle.

I often see people dicing with traffic when placing or taking ladders off the drivers side of the vehicle.

Latest Posts

Back