Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White Smears!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jez86

Been out today and the smears I've been getting on the windows are doing my head in! Haven't ever had this problem before, dunno if its to do with 'low sun window cleaning' post but I tried some flash to my mixture and still no good, blades on squeegee was replaced so its not that.... Any ideas?? It's like a white smear, .... It's even leaving a smear where I'm squeegeing,..

Ahh yeah maybe! When you make up your mix how much do ya put in? I do probably put a bit much in and sometimes squirt it on my applicator too /emoticons/unsure.png

Had same problem today myself low sun

Changed water used less soap

Still had problem not as bad

Using infer soft rubbers was thinking of changing

What's your thoughts guys

Yeah I thought it was sun at first put even in the shade had same problem, must have been too much soap, I'll try less tomorrow and see how it goes... Cheers

My thoughts; too much soap and if no it using ecover then start using it (not as gunky as fairy). Are the frames wooden and have a non gloss finish to the paint? If so you could be mopping up the dodgy paint and carrying it onto the glass. Do you notice a blade mark on the glass when you make a turn or nearly come to a stop? I'll bet you're using fairy!?

Ahh yeah maybe! When you make up your mix how much do ya put in? I do probably put a bit much in and sometimes squirt it on my applicator too /emoticons/unsure.png
Thats how I do it too, a line on each side. Rub it in with the bottle of the soap container and dip in in the water. I just keep dipping it back in the water until I start to see ''patches'' on the window

No they were just standard UPVC windows, and yeah I already use ecover, changed over about a month ago when I saw another pst about it /emoticons/smile.png an yeah there were blade marks from turns ect, really slowed me down today, so I've gotta go out to finish tomorrow /emoticons/unsure.png

Yeah I noticed exactly the same thing today. Mainly in the sun though.

fresh water, new blade, (unger soft) but with flash in the bucket.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow but replace the flash with vinegar like I used to use.

I even noticed lines appearing on straight pulls.

I personally think it must be the flash. I will see what happens tomorrow.

Been out today and the smears I've been getting on the windows are doing my head in! Haven't ever had this problem before, dunno if its to do with 'low sun window cleaning' post but I tried some flash to my mixture and still no good, blades on squeegee was replaced so its not that.... Any ideas?? It's like a white smear, .... It's even leaving a smear where I'm squeegeing,..
If you are using a bucket, as opposed to a spray, then 5-10ml of derergent should be enough, say approximately half an egg cup at most.

Yeah I've changed channels, used wagtail ect but still the same, tried it today with and without flash, just using small amount of ecover. But I think I've found out what has been happening! I live by the sea and its been really windy last week so it must be salt on the windows, a customer was on about it today so I decided to wipe my finger on the window and lick it lol, it was salty.... So the salt must have been picked up from all the windows and dissolved on my applicator and in my water, leaving white marks everywhere... Been a nightmare last 2 days... Looked a right idiot yesterday cleaning a customers connie for about 30 mins chasing the streaks around while he and his misses sat in hot tub watching with a beer lmao

Could also be wet scrims?

Once I had a wet scrim and it left a white mark on window!

Can just about detail with slightly damp scrim but not a soaking wet through one lol.

Yeah I've changed channels, used wagtail ect but still the same, tried it today with and without flash, just using small amount of ecover. But I think I've found out what has been happening! I live by the sea and its been really windy last week so it must be salt on the windows, a customer was on about it today so I decided to wipe my finger on the window and lick it lol, it was salty.... So the salt must have been picked up from all the windows and dissolved on my applicator and in my water, leaving white marks everywhere... Been a nightmare last 2 days... Looked a right idiot yesterday cleaning a customers connie for about 30 mins chasing the streaks around while he and his misses sat in hot tub watching with a beer lmao
You hope that's been sea salt lol..

I wouldn't use vinegar or flash, washing up liquid is enough. Fairy been used for years and years for window cleaning, tho we started on ecover about 6 months ago.. I now use hard unger rubbers and find they are a lot better than soft.

If your using a new rubber, new channel, washing up liquid only, and still getting streaks etc, it can only be your technique. If leaving lines it could be whatever way your rubber has been cut or may have a nip in it..

Like when you clean a window trad, it may look spotless, but some windows if you look at from different angles you can see some imperfections on the glass, not lines or streaks etc, but just looks dirty, even of you clean the insides too..

( don't want to change this into an argument, but when I clean windows with wfp, the glass really is spotless )

i think its something thats come in with the weather like when we get the pollen clouds that cover everything ive been having the same problem over the last few days tried all sorts but when i went to do a pub i had problems on the outside but the insides were fine so tried the same on my house and got the same results

Yeah I do hope it's sea salt lol, I can't see it being my technique as I've been doing it for nearly a year and had no problems, I've ditched the flash and I'm going back to just fairy as I never had any problems with it, just decided to try ecover as everyone was raving about it lol... And it's not gonna change into an argument because as soon as I have the funds for a decent wfp setup, I'm retiring my ladders! Lol /emoticons/wink.png

Back