Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does this house's gutters look safe to clean?

slippy

Got the high gutters on this to clean out. I have an akalad stabiliser and ladder mats. Will it be OK on this surface? The grass is wet. Gonna put standoff on wall below fascia.

20170209_164559.jpg

20170209_163624.jpg

20170209_163621.jpg

Without even looking really you need a Rojak ladder stopper for hard surfaces and a spike board which is a thick piece of plyboard with loads of nails hammered through for wet grass with piece of timber screwed to the top of it so the ladder doesn't slip , But ultimately only you can assess the safety aspect of the entire clean .

Or you could spend £245.00 and buy a Gardiners backpack with a CLX-18 pole and WFP the whole lot longterm you could save your life and a whole load of hassle on this job and the rest .

Looks OK I've used my van for a spotter before on ladders also you could take 2 bags of sand with u for the ladder feet ..never used a ladder matt don't like the look of them

Without even looking really you need a Rojak ladder stopper for hard surfaces and a spike board which is a thick piece of plyboard with loads of nails hammered through for wet grass with piece of timber screwed to the top of it so the ladder doesn't slip , But ultimately only you can assess the safety aspect of the entire clean .
Or you could spend £245.00 and buy a Gardiners backpack with a CLX-18 pole and WFP the whole lot longterm you could save your life and a whole load of hassle on this job and the rest .

What about a laddermate?

The surface is that spongy (but not spongy looking) stuff u see on lots of driveways. If I use the ankalad and ladder mats it's got to be safe surely to clean inside of gutters out? I will do outsides with pole. Bit worried about wet grass though. Maybe get the bag of sad for that.

G

What about a laddermate?

The surface is that spongy (but not spongy looking) stuff u see on lots of driveways. If I use the ankalad and ladder mats it's got to be safe surely to clean inside of gutters out? I will do outsides with pole. Bit worried about wet grass though. Maybe get the bag of sad for that.
Grass is fine mate its the best ladders never go...that drive n path looks like resin it's solid ..if your that bothered take a lad with you for a few quid

G

Grass is fine mate its the best ladders never go...that drive n path looks like resin it's solid ..if your that bothered take a lad with you for a few quid

Might climb up on one of the buildings two storey flat roofs to clean out those gutters. I guess just push ladder against on end extend over the top and use the ankalad.

Which is better the laddermate or rojak?

Is your ply with nails for grass a diy job?

Might climb up on one of the buildings two storey flat roofs to clean out those gutters. I guess just push ladder against on end extend over the top and use the ankalad.

I don't use either mate on grass jobs there's no risk of a ladder slipping if the feet are sunk in...if on concrete etc I always take a lad with me to be on the safe side ...I don't like any of them ladder stops

I can only recommend the rojak as I used it in the past on gravel drives and ruff surfaces , As for the drive in the pic if it is resin I wouldn't trust it personally its slippy underfoot

Yes the ply board was a diy job something I used years ago before WFP as I used to have the suction cup feet fitted to my ladder so the ply board with nails was the best option .

Also is their an invisible staircase on the outside of that house were is that door going on the first floor :laugh:

I can only recommend the rojak as I used it in the past on gravel drives and ruff surfaces , As for the drive in the pic if it is resin I wouldn't trust it personally its slippy

Yes the ply board was a diy job something I used years ago before WFP as I used to have the suction cup feet fitted to my ladder so the ply board with nails was the best option .

Also is their an invisible staircase on the outside of that house were is that door going on the first floor :laugh:
Apparently after they built it they would've been charged twice the rates if they had stairs so never built the stairs or something lol

Looks OK I've used my van for a spotter before on ladders also you could take 2 bags of sand with u for the ladder feet ..never used a ladder matt don't like the look of them
These ladder mat's.

Tesco direct: LadderMat Anti-Slip Ladder Mats Accessory

I had a ladder indoors once on marbe and it began sliding back; put the ladder mats under and it stopped. They can be used for levelling as well.

Which is better then, the rojak or laddermate? I was thinking of getting one of those.

Those rubber laddermats are dangerous..i have seen them slip when damp

You said you have an ankalad so use that..safest device out there i reckon and i used to trust my life cleaning gutters on townhouses with them and cleaning gutters on gravel etc

They will not let the ladder slip backwards

This the ankalad set up. I have always found it hard to get the ladder/standoff to be firm on wall while the ankalads legs areally in the ground. So this time I put the standoff against wall then after that pulled the legs out but didn't dig them in ground too much.

Mats were cos lady didn't want drive damage. 14869924182681204486886.jpg

To prevent damage to drives etc I've just folded up some scrims in the past and placed them under the foot they grip the same ...the ladder matt id never use ...to be fair slippy I always put the stand off on the wall try to stay clear of placing it on fascias as the damage easy and you risk them slidding if it's wet mate

Get a cheap gutter vac , half hours job easy money all done from the ground don't need to use a ladder at all for that

Those rubber laddermats are dangerous..i have seen them slip when damp
You said you have an ankalad so use that..safest device out there i reckon and i used to trust my life cleaning gutters on townhouses with them and cleaning gutters on gravel etc

They will not let the ladder slip backwards
I have always found it difficult to get the standoff to stay on the wall and have ankalad's legs dug into the floor at the same time so today put the standoff against wall then climbed up a few rungs and then pushed the ankalad's legs into the ground from there by pulling them in a bit. I find it needs my weight up a few rungs or the standoff will pull off the wall. Don't use brace.

Anyone else had this problem?

Get a cheap gutter vac , half hours job easy money all done from the ground don't need to use a ladder at all for that

What one do you recommend? I heard some people make their own.

That asbestolux stuff on the soffits, as it's asbestos is it dangerous to be smashing your brush into when cleaning?

B&Q on line do a pro vac 1800 watts I have a 25 ltr one for smaller jobs like in the picture cost £90 absolute bargain , obviously you would need some poles but for a two storey house 3 /4 poles would do you , Grippatank poles are quite good , and not to expensive

Back