Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wooden Frames & Vents

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Belfastcleaning

I'm new to wfp, and last week nearly every window I cleaned with the pole had vents, I just tried to be quick doing them, but can water get into them and cause problems?

Also next week I will be using the pole on a place 9/10 houses have wooden frames. There is another windy in there that uses pole and he didn't wash the frames, just the glass. Normally trad I don't touch the frames, should I do the frames with the pole?

Vents can be a mare, if they are really bad they can run for ages, if you can wash round without squirting water up the inside ( your jets probably angle slightly down, so sometimes possible) that's preferable, but can still get a bit of run but not for as long. Some turn water off when scrubbing the vent, I can't be bothered. You may decide not to touch them. Good news is, once they are clean if you keep doing them fairly regular 3 months say, they don't cause any more

Wooden frames can be a bit of an anomaly, as you know the theory is that water goes in the wood, picks up tds, runs down window and you're fired. If they aren't painted there's no real point in doing the frames anyway, but if the paints peeling? Well tbh, I'd leave the frames as they need painting and will look bad with paint peeling off whether they are clean or not. But I think you'll generally be ok, I have one that I put off doing wfp for ages as I thought it'd be terrible- turned out mint, don't do the frames but the windows are quartered so you are going over plenty of wood, so just have a go and see, but as I said, I'd leave the frames unless painted

i only clean the frames if theyve been painted in the last three years and in good condition overwise just clean the glass, vents if really dirty and you have to clean round them i use the scrim trick,wrap a cloth around the brush and clean around the vent, stops the water squirting directly into the vents then clean the rest as the window as normal. only needs to be done on the first clean other steer clear of the vents as youll have to go back the next day and re clean the glass

I clean the vents... and i spray the water in them... then once it looks clean i put my brush over it....it takes me only 1 minute... that way i know their clean and no dirty water will drip from them afterwards /emoticons/smile.png

Carefully H them vents go somewhere....

Though you'd be pretty unlucky to drench the insides, my old house did it, but that's about all.

Back