Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Storing Pure Water In Barrels - Bleach?

Kips

Hey folks.

So i've got about 100ltrs of pure water in plastic barrels that I'm not going to get through for a few days - am worried about it 'going off' as it has no chlorine etc in it to keep it clean

Would adding a few drops of bleach to each barrell do this for me? Stop bugs and mould or whatever from growing in it and keep it pure?

Might have the added effect of killing mould and bugs on my customers windows?

Any thoughts?

kips i have water in barrels since xmas, its ok i cover it with a sheet, i currently have 10 barrels in my shed full to the top with rain water and a water tank full up 500L of rain water. the barrels do go green some times but i just get warm water half fill them and bleech inside them for 10 mins and empty, then i fill with cold tap water rinse off and there good for another 6 months.

Cool, I'll put some black bags over the barrels in my garden then - that should work no?

I always keep some spare containers in the garage as long a the sun doesn't get on them your fine... Saying that we're not getting much sun!!

Nothing to worry about mate, I leave mine exposed for days with no trouble. Before the sun causes enough photosynthesis to affect the work quality it'll weaken the drum so that it snaps when you pick it up! Some of mine are coated with the stuff, but it doesn't affect the tds as it just clings round the edge like barnacles, if it was floating in the water that would be different.

Oh, you might notice tiny white flecks sometimes in the water, they don't seem to be any trouble though.

in my bk pack its full of floating green stuff, its like pea soup but never bothered me and my tds is always the same. backpacks have a small filter built into them anyway so every couple of months i just empty it and re start.

Mine sit outside for at least 2-3 months. Check the last one before I use it & never had a problem. A few days is nothing. I don't even cover them up but to be honest since I started using them last April we've had no sun lol

Back