Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

IPAF COURSE

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Neil

Booked my IPAF and PASMA course today after longing it out because of how busy I have been , hope I pass them both [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing the cherry picker and working at height course , @Green have you done the IPAF course 3A & 3B ?

Wanted to know if it was easy to pass lol , last month I completed the harness course and now I'm booked in to do the IPAF where you doing it ?

Have you got safe contractor I'm getting this sorted after my IPAF its coating a fair bit lol

Hello mate ipaf wasnt that hard ive got moblie boom static boom and mobile vertical all really str8 forward stuff and when it come to driving just take it slow and steady there not looking for quickness there looking for controlled movement

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Why did you choose to do ipaf Neil?

We use pickers fairly often and never bothered with the ipaf...

Good that you did the harness course though, that seems like a good one to do

There is no requirement for certification here to hire a lift or picker Jake, however some sites require the operator to prove they have some form of certification. Whilst working New Street we were not allowed to use the scissor lifts without a certified driver to chauffeur us around.

My figuring is it is just another piece of paper that makes your company more 'acceptable' to larger projects and sites that are tight on the HSE.

Also I would be curious to hear from Simply or Gleaming as to weather or not your insurance would cover you in the event of an incident if the operator has no certification. Just curious.

Courses are always worth doing, you never know when you can pull them out of the bag and save the day.

Does anyone know what sort of courses are needed to do the abseiling window cleaning? Are there any specific to our industry, or is it a general abseiling qualification. Would love to do it.

We've never been asked, and the place we hire them from insures us for the duration of the hire, as for damage to buildings, you just don't have an accident :thumbsup::whistle:

The best certificate is the one called 'expierence' and that's the key, working with pickers on a real site is totally different to the ipaf training,

But yeah it would help with some jobs as it may look good like you say, but we've not been asked once, until we are, I won't pay for the ipaf...

Courses are always worth doing, you never know when you can pull them out of the bag and save the day.
Does anyone know what sort of courses are needed to do the abseiling window cleaning? Are there any specific to our industry, or is it a general abseiling qualification. Would love to do it.
Yeah your right, it's just that ipaf isn't compulsory, so that's why I've never bothered,

I've looked into abseiling courses, there's a few that are run in London, but I'm not sure how much use id get from it, so never bothered, just type it into YouTube and you'll get loads of courses...

I'm doing it because I need to use a cherry picker for a few jobs and they want to see my certificates for all health and safety and a cert for using the picker IPAF is the one to have [emoji106]

Abseiling is something that unless experienced i would say don't do it without plenty of training

I climbed and abseiled for a hobby for years after getting the bug in the army

I was taught properly to a good standard and have still had some hair raising (brown pants) moments

You'd have to be mad to try and wing it

Good luck @Neil ..can never have too many tickets for different machines and skills

Makes you look more legit in the eyes of potential customers

To abseil you need a course and proof Dave, but to use a cherry, you don't by law need anything, unless someone asks you for there own peace of mind,

I wouldn't pay out for anything like that unless is was needed, abseiling then of course you'd have to, by law...

Neil needs the ipaf for this job so that's fair enough, but we've never been asked and use them for 4 seperate jobs a year, but of course I would if it meant I wouldn't be getting the work without it, until that happens, I'll keep the money in my bank :thumbsup:

Also I would be curious to hear from Simply or Gleaming as to weather or not your insurance would cover you in the event of an incident if the operator has no certification. Just curious.
We always ask our customers who work with staff or sub-contractors for a split of the work they do, between ground level and then at various height levels, this then generating further questions from us on how they access the higher work (i.e. cherry pickers, platforms etc) - we will then ask them are they accredited and certified to carry out such work - confirmation of this will allow us to proceed.

Now, clearly there may be occasions through the year, when a customer fails to advise us of height work, and theoretically they may have an un-certified worker working for them - should an incident arise, then the insurers could decide to deny liability - circumstances would dictate exactly what the response would be and of course, we as the clients broker, would always be in a position to help and offer the best claims advice we could. Remember, that with us, our small team not only deal with ALL the quotes and business, but deal with ALL the claims too.

Hope that helps ?

Martin (Gleaming Insurance)

I no round my way hiring a cherry picker or boom or any type of lift is definite no go if you don't hold ipaf cert

Friend of mine drives mobile cranes but also has his ipaf so he helps me with this type of work

Back