Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Late payments

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Flinn

Hello Guys,

Any advise would be great!!

Ive been working as a subbie for a building firm for about 6 months now,(Builders cleans and Initial Cleans) all was well until about 2 months ago.

Getting paid from them has been nothing short of ridiculous !!

No formal contract was ever set-up about payments or late payments or terms and conditions.

I would normally invoice them giving 30 days until payment is due..

But lately its been 45-50 days whats that all about ???

Sending email reminders about payment overdue,not even a reply !!

On the phone to speak with accounts,No-one available ( in a meeting ) NO ****

Then they phone up asking me can i do a job from them..like yesterday.. i always accommodate..talk about short notice.

NO MORE AFTER THIS..sorry for shouting guys lol

Question is,can i charge them a late Fee after 30 Days ? Is there any law regarding this.

Rant Over

Flinn

I have ran different businesses over the last 28 years, and i can say from experience that getting anyone to pay when they say they will, usually does not ever happen.

Especially when dealing with companies.

I used to get a big deposit in the end to cover all the materials and half labour, or i would not start work.

NHS have always been good payers.

Builders and tech companies always rubbish payers.

Private individuals are a mixture, even with window cleaning where we are talking £10-£30.

I ditch bad payers very quickly.

If a financial outlay is required then i insist on an upfront deposit.

They don't do it anymore, I was going to send one of those letters but they wont do it for individuals anymore when you try.

Have a look at this as may be of interest to put a boot up their **** http://www.thomashiggins.com/pages/collection-process-stage-one.aspx

Smurf,

Brilliant mate, just the site needed for future reference. .I phoned the companies accounts department twice today..

1st call was can you call again in 15 mins as they are busy.

2nd call, they are busy, can I take your number and they will return your call..

still waiting..

I will be on the phone first thing in the morning again..so angry!!!

I did hear through one of the contractors that he was also having problems getting payment from them...

last job I will ever do for them..

cheers mate

Smurf,
Brilliant mate, just the site needed for future reference. .I phoned the companies accounts department twice today..

1st call was can you call again in 15 mins as they are busy.

2nd call, they are busy, can I take your number and they will return your call..

still waiting..

I will be on the phone first thing in the morning again..so angry!!!

I did hear through one of the contractors that he was also having problems getting payment from them...

last job I will ever do for them..

cheers mate
Like I said above, they don't do individual letters anymore, I tried myself about 2 weeks ago.

There are other places that do it, but take some googling to find them.

Like I said above, they don't do individual letters anymore, I tried myself about 2 weeks ago.
Seriously mate..not good!! what's wrong with these companies not wanting to help the small business man ..I guess the search goes on..

Thanks for your reply

Had the same with a building company then ditched them after taking 6 months to pay my invoice

Thats odd as is still on their website that they do.

How did you find out they don't?

Thats odd as is still on their website that they do.How did you find out they don't?
By trying to use the service, try it yourself, it ends up taking you to a page that says they don't do it anymore.

Fill out their little form saying you just send the odd letter and it tells you "The service we offer to clients is high volume, straight forward, undisputed debt recovery. If this does not best describe the type of debts you have then this service will not be appropriate for you."

If you select the folowing

Whatever in the drop down box for the first one

1-5 How many debts do you anticipate instructing us on? *

5-10 How many debtors do you require solicitor’s letters for per annum? *

0-5 How many times did you issue court claims against your debtors in the last 12 months? *

It will let you create an account by then showing the form to fill in.

I've never used them myself but is also worth reading their stage 2 fees & T&C https://www.thomashiggins.com/pages/debt-collection-costs-fees.aspx

Fill out their little form saying you just send the odd letter and it tells you "The service we offer to clients is high volume, straight forward, undisputed debt recovery. If this does not best describe the type of debts you have then this service will not be appropriate for you."

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I tried they hadn't updated the website and told you to phone them up unless you are doing regular claims, they told me they don't do one off letters, but worth a try, they said they were updating their way of doing things.

The whole drop down box thingy wasn't there until I checked this morning.

Give them a bell and see what they're doing now, I managed to sort mine out before I went this route, but I found someone else to do it.

Thanks for the attached info very interesting might help recover from 5 of mine that are on stop and think I've gone away thx

Back