Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using ladders safely and effectively?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

View attachment 9034

The top photo with the ladder below the window was too low for me to reach the top of the glass. I was worried about putting it on the PVC sill as worried it might slip sideways. Any ideas? Also how would you get the two windows either side and the little one to the left?

The set up around the gates- is this the best way to get over gates?

Last on- looks dangerous but was actually pretty dangerous- I never do this normally but thought I would put it in anyhow.

View attachment 9032

View attachment 9033

I would say your safest bet would be to use that wfp.

Trad you could by some ladder mitts to stop sliding and protect the seal, side windows you may be able to reach around.

As for that porch, think your best bet is to put a ladder up leaning in the middle of the porches gable end and reach with an extension pole.

Gate I would hop over.

I really would make this house wfp.

The last picture scares me lol.

Put the ladder between the porch and bay, then you can do half the bay and the one over the porch (you can probably put a foot on the porch roof), then put your ladder to the other side and finish the bay, I have these all the time. Going over the gate - the way you have it is best, you can step over without touching the gate, don't want to be clumbering over the gate. I've just had one today. If you have wfp, why are you using ladders?

If you have to use ladders get the right one for the job an A frame or pointer ladder as they are called is is designed purely for window cleaning.

you can put the point on the frame of the bay and clean said window in 2 hits with splade feet it will be a lot safer and you will avoid over reaching.

On windows where it is awkward to reach the top from the ladder on the sill i would extend the ladder and place it above the window giving you all the reach you need

Learning to squeegee with either hand is worthwhile as you can work from the middle like that

Never used ladder mitts and never marked any sills by being clever about placement

With the first one use ladder mitts, split the pane in half in your mind and do the left small window and left half then move the ladder and repeat in the other side. As for the other 2, I agree with @Green Pro Clean Ltd

Which ladder mitts would you recommend? And I thought they were just used to stop damage to PVC, window etc Do they help prevent slipping to left or right?

How well do they work on the surrounding masonry or brickwork?

On windows where it is awkward to reach the top from the ladder on the sill i would extend the ladder and place it above the window giving you all the reach you needLearning to squeegee with either hand is worthwhile as you can work from the middle like that

Never used ladder mitts and never marked any sills by being clever about placement

If I fully extend the ladder to above the window. How many rungs in the middle of ladder can you get away with safely overlapping?

Personally, even though 1 more item to carry, I would use a Ladder M8rx. Bleeding brilliant bit of kit that actually works. Have used it on slippery decking and rock solid.

If I fully extend the ladder to above the window. How many rungs in the middle of ladder can you get away with safely overlapping?
They need to overlap by 2 so looking at it you would have the bottom rung of the top section in line with the 3rd from top rung of the bottom section

Which ladder mitts would you recommend? And I thought they were just used to stop damage to PVC, window etc Do they help prevent slipping to left or right?I've got a set from aldi, they do increase the grip quite a bit as well as protecting sills.

Which ladder mitts would you recommend? And I thought they were just used to stop damage to PVC, window etc Do they help prevent slipping to left or right?I've got a set from aldi, they do increase the grip quite a bit as well as protecting sills.

You should get yourself a double Aframe ladder, so much easier. I wouldnt get on that ladder like that.

Or a wfp and stay off the ladders:whistle:

I use ladders when i have to but avoid it when i can also nowadays

175d1ffdf96ac013533e2fe62bbef645.jpg

I gave up window cleaning for the day to do something safer up a ladder.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back