Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rented properties

rugbywolf

I have been caught out a couple of times with people asking me to do their windows, and after extra first time washes I do the second wash, only to find, when I collect, that they have gone. It's not always obvious that they have gone, because some lets are part-furnished. For this reason I have introduced a new policy for rented premises (as long as I know they are rented!). When asked to do their windows, if I'm not sure, I ask if they are renting, and secondly, I say that I am happy to do them, but there is a condition, which is that they pay for one extra clean, which I will hold, until such times as they leave or do not require my services. This I have done three times so far, and people seem OK with it. I give them a receipt in the form of an invoice, name address phone number etc, and write;

"Received the sum of £xxx for payment in lieu of your windows being cleaned if you have left your rented accommodation owing me payment. This, of course, will be returned at any time at your request should you no longer require my services, and/or owe me money.

Assuring you of a regular and reliable service at all times."

I thought I'd pass this on as a recommendation to everyone.

I have been caught out a couple of times with people asking me to do their windows, and after extra first time washes I do the second wash, only to find, when I collect, that they have gone. It's not always obvious that they have gone, because some lets are part-furnished. For this reason I have introduced a new policy for rented premises (as long as I know they are rented!). When asked to do their windows, if I'm not sure, I ask if they are renting, and secondly, I say that I am happy to do them, but there is a condition, which is that they pay for one extra clean, which I will hold, until such times as they leave or do not require my services. This I have done three times so far, and people seem OK with it. I give them a receipt in the form of an invoice, name address phone number etc, and write;
"Received the sum of £xxx for payment in lieu of your windows being cleaned if you have left your rented accommodation owing me payment. This, of course, will be returned at any time at your request should you no longer require my services, and/or owe me money.

Assuring you of a regular and reliable service at all times."

I thought I'd pass this on as a recommendation to everyone.
Good idea rugby. Rented properties can sometimes be tricky with tenants looking for a one off clean before they leave, with the windows being very manky.

I'd never do that as I feel alot of my customers would be quite insulted , but I agree with the need

I dont have many rented but i too have been stung once or twice, i always stop after two cleans anyway on all my work but on rentals i make them pay one in front, occasionally if i get soft and treat them like regular customers and let them pay after i have cleaned i never clean more than once without payment so i only lose one clean. Most rentals are terraces so at most i lose a fiver.

I dont have many rented but i too have been stung once or twice, i always stop after two cleans anyway on all my work but on rentals i make them pay one in front, occasionally if i get soft and treat them like regular customers and let them pay after i have cleaned i never clean more than once without payment so i only lose one clean. Most rentals are terraces so at most i lose a fiver.
Yes, I can appreciate that, but it is maddening when there hasn't been a previous window cleaner - probably for some time, and you give it your time doing a first clean.

iv lost 100s from folk moving after the first clean over the yrs.
Another reason to charge the same for a '1 off' or 'first clean' (i.e about double) -it removes the incentive for them to lie.

It boils my @@@@ off when it used to happen to me ,over the years you get a sense that there are messers when there meet you ,, first impressions do count .. It's always the younger custies that do it the older ones have more respect ... I never do a second free clean . Only on custies I really know are sound .......

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason to charge the same for a '1 off' or 'first clean' (i.e about double) -it removes the incentive for them to lie.
i THINK if i charged the double bubble the genuine ones would think im a try-it-on type. i might be mistaken however ,i do know the first contact is when theyre willing me to be normal but equally ready to raise a fist if im not!

i THINK if i charged the double bubble the genuine ones would think im a try-it-on type. i might be mistaken however ,i do know the first contact is when theyre willing me to be normal but equally ready to raise a fist if im not!
That's the thing matey, you're not trying it on. You are just asking more money, for more work. Almost everyone I have come across hasn't got a problem with that. The ones that kick up the fuss are the ones that are after a cheap one off clean. It doesn't always have to be double. For example, if you turn up and its a £12 house, but the windows are not too bad, I charge £20 instead of £24.

i might give it a go- as i say iv lost hundreds£££ by being diddled or being taken for a ride. praps 1000s over 6 years if im honest

i might give it a go- as i say iv lost hundreds£££ by being diddled or being taken for a ride. praps 1000s over 6 years if im honest
Exactly, whereas now you'll profit from the 'one offers'. I am always up front about the double charge before asking if they want a 'one off'or regular clean, and that way they are honest with me so I don't waste time later getting the runaround.

Latest Posts

Back