Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners the best at canvassing?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Simply Business

Recently read a thread on another forum (for landscape gardening) discussing canvassing for new customers. The general and overwhelming consensus was that they wouldn't dream of canvassing - suggesting it didn't particularly work, nor did they want to do it.

This made me wonder, are window cleaners the best canvassers? Or does window cleaning just lend itself to canvassing more than landscape gardening, or other trades?

What do you guys think?

Its trade specific IMHO. Knocking on the door asking someone if they want a £12 window clean is a lot different to knocking and asking to lay a £1200 patio. Generally the other trades need less customers anyway since you are usually at a job for a week or more. Another thing that different is the customers perception. Any tradesmen thats worth having will generally be very booked up, so being seen walking the streets looking for work when you should be working doesnt make you look like the sort of guy to trust with a 20grand job.

I think people expect you to knock in our job as we are out in the street anyway

That's how i usually introduce myself

"Just working up the road/round the corner so thought I'd see if anyone round here needed a window cleaner"

Yes = woohoo

No = " no worries love always worth a knock to find out..see ya"

Easy but effective for us

Lol it was something I never enjoyed. Put a load of leaflets out etc but found it hard to go knocking. I did do a bit but not much.

if i,m working in a area and next door looks good bet i will chap door no problem

if your trying to get your work compact its the best way to go

Had woman the other day asking for a price for her windows, thinking about it now

it was like us canvassing she looked nervous and uncomfortable, i,ve noticed this a few times

it might of been green matter running out my ears:laugh:

Lol it was something I never enjoyed. Put a load of leaflets out etc but found it hard to go knocking. I did do a bit but not much.
If you can talk to us gav as people as people you don't know until you speak to us the first time then you can speak to prospective custies no problem

Same as speaking to the postie or someone in a queue

I think people mentally make it harder than it needs to be

Thanks for the replies guys! Definitely agree it lends itself better to certain trades, and things like average price of a job would inevitably have an effect.

In terms of window cleaners, do you think the majority of the time people don't do it, it's more because they don't feel comfortable doing it, rather than not thinking it will work?

Seems like the majority of you guys get great results with it! Like anything, I suppose - practice makes perfect!

For me if I see an exterior of a home in a filthy state rather than knock on their door I would leave it for somebody else to do.

I was actually cleaning a block paved driveway one day and a smart new van pulled up two up. One chap got out and asked me if I want them to resand & seal it for me then shoved a leaflet in my hand.

When I asked the chap a few questions apparently all they seem to do is drive around the streets looking for driveways etc that need doing and door knock to drum up work.

Yes tinkers are also into pressure washing now too and will do anything to make a fast buck

Back