Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Air in the pump constantly

Beccy

This didn't used to happen so often but recently every hour or so I'm having to get rid of air in the system to get it working properly again. I've tightened all the jubilee clips but can't work out what's causing it.

It starts with the pump running when the tap at the pole is switched off, instead of the pump cutting out like it should, then within 10 minutes or so, the flow is down to a trickle and I'm having to stop work tonsort it out /emoticons/sad.png

Any ideas? /emoticons/smile.png

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

Hi Beccy, how are you sorting it out to get it running again? Are you turning controller up to full blast to shove the air through? If the pump is still running when the water has been turned off at your tap, it sounds like the controller will need calibrating any way.

I disconnect the hose before it goes into the hose reel I've got a length of hose that I attach and suck the water through... It's fine if I'm thirsty, but if I had a cuppa before starting work, I then need to fine somewhere to pee lol. Once there's water through it again, I switch it back on and crank it up to 99 psi until it's stopped spluttering.

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

Can you hear the pump running at the speed you've set it to or does it sound like it's pumping slower than normal. I'm thinking the battery isn't fully charged. Does hubby have a multimeter he can check the battery with? If it is air, then try running the water through the hose reel at 99 for a few minutes. Stick a a brush with fan jets in it and cool yourself down while getting rid of the air :thumbsup:

wet tee shirt comp springs too mind /emoticons/biggrin.png

Can you hear the pump running at the speed you've set it to or does it sound like it's pumping slower than normal. I'm thinking the battery isn't fully charged. Does hubby have a multimeter he can check the battery with? If it is air, then try running the water through the hose reel at 99 for a few minutes. Stick a a brush with fan jets in it and cool yourself down while getting rid of the air :thumbsup:

Does hubby have a multimeter??!?! :eek: No. Hubby was sent packing months ago. He didn't own a multimeter anyway so no loss there lol

I have a multimeter though and my battery is fine /emoticons/wink.png

I think the pump is running when it shouldn't because there's a dodgy seal somewhere so it's not getting the the pressure within the system to reach the cut out point. My problem is how to work out which joint isn't properly sealed? Or should I just take the whole lot apart and redo it all with lots of ptfe tape, new hose in and oit of the pump and new jubilee clips?

So what have you changed recently to make the system start playing up?

New hose & reel maybe?

If the pump is sucking air, then it should also leak from that same point I would have thought. Are there any leaks around the pump?

wet tee shirt comp springs too mind /emoticons/biggrin.png
:eek: was good weather for that today too!

Nothing has been changed recently that I can think of. And no noticeable leaks of water anywhere.

Would it be anyhelp to post pics of how it's all setup?

Also, can you do a calibration test on the controller, just to rule that out. As you say the pump keeps on running, so playing with the calibration might sort it possibly?

Also, can you do a calibration test on the controller, just to rule that out. As you say the pump keeps on running, so playing with the calibration might sort it possibly?
I can give it a go.... Presumably there'll be info on that in the manual if I can find it online?

Sorry beccy I just know how @Tuffers mind works /emoticons/biggrin.png

:eek: was good weather for that today too!

If you tell use what pump controller you have maybe we can also help
Cool, just need to get the little one bathed and into bed then I'll see what model it is.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Nothing has been changed recently that I can think of. And no noticeable leaks of water anywhere.
Would it be anyhelp to post pics of how it's all setup?

Yes post pics. Have you let the tank run low, beneath the outlet?

Yes post pics. Have you let the tank run low, beneath the outlet?
That'll do it it everytime for my system, i do what beccy said, disconnect the hose before the di and suck but then i turn the water on too, the amount of times i think i,ve sucked out all the air and it pops and farts once switched back and sucking lol......

Cant think what else you can do beccy sounds like you've done the easy stuff

Ah, now yes, I have run it dry a couple of times before, but that shouldn't have a long term affect should it? As long as I sucked the air out before using it again? I can't remember if running it dry the first time coincided with it starting to play up though.

Back