Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Messed up quote!

Adda85

Hi I'm Adam, new to Window cleaning and new to the forum, so hello all! I have a job today which I have under quoted, it's 14 largish windows 3 double doors and a conservatory all of which are really dirty and clearly haven't been done in ages, I quoted £25 which the customer didn't seem to happy about but agreed to, the big mistake was I assumed she would be a regular as was recommended me by another of my customers, but after I told her the price she said she only wanted them cleaned as a one off. I guess I am new to this so il learn and usually do ask how regular they want them done before I quote the price, but I'm not too sure whether I need to do the conservatory roof as if I do the job will take most of the day to do and I'm only getting £25, just dunno if she expects the roof done in that price.

Next time I will have to say this much for conny, but it's more for the roof too.

Conny roof is a separate job, if she says about it tell her its not included and it'll cost a lot more. If she's a one off don't stress it's your business not hers your in charge. Do it learn from it and move on

You will learn by mistakes that have we all done. In future remeber to clearly specify what you are going to clean for the given price, and dont be affraid to claim your price if the custommer dont like it walk away and get another who pay you what you are worth, remeber it is your business so you set the price and rules not the customer.

Price every job with a inital first clean price, then provide regular 4 and 8 weekly prices or what ever intervals you do along with the quote.

Never really ask them if its a one off or regular as the wise ones among them always say regular to get a better price then cancel you after you have spent ages getting them right first up.

I provide a quote form to new customers that explains my terms, about the way I clean and payment info etc, at the top of the form it says:

First/initial clean cost £

4 weekly maitenance £

8 weekly maitenance £

It goes on to explain why we charge more for the first clean, in turn getting the costs lower for ongoing cleans.

As a suggestion; we quote an initial or first clean price and then a regular maintenance clean. If there is a conservatory involved in the clean we always clearly advise that the conservatory roof is not included in the window cleaning quotation and that will be an extra £...

So using your example: "Yes ma'am, we can certain clean your windows for you on a regular basis. We are in the area every 6 weeks (or your schedule). The initial clean would be £40.00 to get all that ingrained dirt that has accumulated over time off and then the cost will be £25.00 subsequently there after every 6 weeks as a maintenance clean. Cleaning includes the conservatory windows and under the conservatory gutters, but does not include cleaning the conservatory roof or clearing the conservatory gutters. If you want that done then it will cost you an additional £40, so that's just £80.00 all in all for everything. Would you like me to do it now for you whilst I'm here."

Initial cleans are always extra considering the condition of the windows. If they are dirty then there is more chance that they will be a one off clean for a special occasion. Customers always tell you it will be a regular clean even if it is so. They have more chance of a cheaper price and more incentive for you to do it (wanting them as a regular customer.)

Adda, when I realize you have made a mistake I contact the customer at earliest convenient time to tell them. Then let them decide if they want to go ahead or not. At the end of the day we are all human and all make mistakes from time to time.

Personally if the customer is there I would just reconfirm with them what you are going to be cleaning and what not, rather than just leave something out and hope for the best, you might end up stressing about it all day otherwise.

We all make a pricing mistake from time to time. A few years ago quoted a very large manor house inside and out for £250. I got the job, in fact she was delighted. I couldn't get it finished in one day and had to return the following day. When it came to her writing the cheque I advised her that I would honour the price this time but if I came back it would be £450. She nodded and said she thought it was too good a price to be true, then wrote the cheque for £450. I went there twice a year afterwards, until they eventually moved to America.

In this case it was better to just say that I had under priced as it paid off in the long run.

Back