Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weep Hole Covers

Mart1001

mnGfFdpXJmbFkok-S3vkrkw.jpg

On occassion, I catch them with my scrim(normally when wiping sill), they disintegrate and leave an untidy looking hole. More often than not, it's an upstairs window as the bottoms are normally already gone, I keep stum and continue as though I didn't see it shatter.

The other day I was doing an house for a lady that had always done her own(which includes leaning out the top windows). You could see she had looked after her windows which made my job a lot easier. Anyway, while cleaning her lounge window, I caught and shattered another one of these and as I looked around her windows, every other one was still intact. Hmm...maybe she will notice I thought to myself. Anyway I continued on and during the day I kept thinking about it...I felt guilty for breaking it and maybe I should do something about it.

Well, these things deteriorate so easily, there must be a demand for replacements...I didn't even know what they were called until I ran a google earlier. Well they seem quite easy to pick up, here's an example from Ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Drain-Caps-Weep-Hole-Drainage-Covers-UPVC-Double-Glazing-Windows-Doors/121264661317?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3Dc34df4992cd64b978e5230af0a12d8f9%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D271053692672

It would be nice to carry a handful in a back pocket and fit a new one whenever I break them. Do any of you guys do this/have you ever considered it ?

I couldn't find any threads regarding this issue in the search and have never seen or heard it disgussed before yet, it can't just be me that has these things shatter....can it ?

Any links to a supplier would be very handy, 500 for a fiver would be great /emoticons/smile.png

Mart.

top post mart...

yes I, sorry frank has, have often broke them and it would be a great idea to have the replacements ready great tip...

now as for the edges of the sills falling off....

yes I suppose I should glue them on but then again...should I ....

and them top vents arent hammer proof either../emoticons/biggrin.png

hmmmm so I couldnt decide wether it was sill or cill.....and neither can google...oops...

so lads....which do you say.?without hi jacking this excellent post...

What are these weep holes for? There always dripping after I wfp them - but only if the window is opened after...

Last edited by a moderator:
er jake I understand you but you may wish to edit that post a bit...yep too hot..

think its water that gets past and into the frame not so sure really...

good question...jake...hmmmm..may have to go to the god google.../emoticons/biggrin.png

er jake I understand you but you may wish to edit that post a bit...yep too hot..
think its water that gets past and into the frame not so sure really...

good question...jake...hmmmm..may have to go to the god google.../emoticons/biggrin.png

:rofl: Stupid iPhone tiny keyboard!

ha my phone sends me mad like that too...

have now done some research on why they are there....

its obviously to let out water that gets past the seals or....condensation which can form of course causing water to build up..

so many problems appeared when I googled that it put me off buying new windows../emoticons/biggrin.png

one site wanted £1.64 for one cover mart so your link looks very good..

thanks will now go and sign in ebay and get some.

will help take the guilt away:whistle:bloody frank...

its obviously to let out water that gets past the seals or....condensation which can form of course causing water to build up..

so many problems appeared when I googled that it put me off buying new windows../emoticons/biggrin.png

one site wanted £1.64 for one cover mart so your link looks very good..

thanks will now go and sign in ebay and get some.

will help take the guilt away:whistle:bloody frank...
oi...make sure you leave some for me, I found um first lol...but gotta wait for the missus to get in as I don't have an Ebay account /emoticons/smile.png

ps...I gave up on the sill/cill argument long time ago as it seems as though there's not actually such a word....but I prefer sill as it sounds right and cill reminds me too much of the idiots that write the word 'chit'...drives me mad. /emoticons/smile.png

yeh im with you on sill....but probs depend on what mood Im in..

sorry mine are on the way.../emoticons/biggrin.png

look awful with out them fitted..

but yeh sunlight soon sees em weak and we come along and oops a daisy...:whistle:

now just got to remember which houses I killed them on...

I've seen them but can't say I've ever damaged one. Its not a bad idea keeping some spare but where do you stop? My van is cluttered enough without buying more stuff in case I break it. Personally I would just keep quiet, and then buy some if/when I break one. If they're a regular custy, just go and sort it the month after. For a quick repair surely a bit of glue would sort it?

oh me er I mean frank can shatter them to bits...

not always with a brush just skating a long with my sill cloth...

but just left it as ...the owners fault for having :turd: windows...but for that price....why worry...

of course I can supply and fit for a fiver...

well its very technical fitting them..especially up a ladder..:whistle:

I've broke a few over the years ,, I'll have to start offering to replace them as a restoration job and charge a mint /emoticons/biggrin.png:D

Back