Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter vac

D

David Williams

Hi me again

Just about to start cleaning gutters with 3 houses booked in for next week.

Now I'm thinking of investing in a gutter vac

The only problem I can see with these are blockages

Surely moss will block these pipes.

Or do you think it's just bet to ladder it with a scoop and bucket???

I use both methods as a guttervac still comes in handy on some jobs but it is sometimes quicker and easier to do by hand. I also sometimes use a guttervac from a ladder aswell fitted with a crevice tool either attached to a wfp or by hand. The heads, poles, hose and inlet of the vac can get blocked with debris and sludge. Also I've found a guttervac can't handle badly blocked gutters with sods especially in corners very well. That's if you can get the guttervac heads into the gap between the tiles as a lot of properties you will find the gap can be very narrow.

Some guttervac jobs including blocked downspouts can be very quick & easy and others can be a bloddy nightmare to do properly so out comes my gutter clearing ladder setup etc. It's wise to always do a gutter survey first either by camera of by ladders to see what you are up against on a quote so you can price the job accordingly.

Hi me againJust about to start cleaning gutters with 3 houses booked in for next week.

Now I'm thinking of investing in a gutter vac

The only problem I can see with these are blockages

Surely moss will block these pipes.

Or do you think it's just bet to ladder it with a scoop and bucket???

I would recommend if clearing gutters by hand to use a microlite standoff that can rests on roof tiles and get an ankalad (outriggers) fitted to your gutter clearing ladder as make the job so much easier and safer to do.

I would recommend if clearing gutters by hand to use a microlite standoff that can rests on roof tiles and get an ankalad (outriggers) fitted to your gutter clearing ladder as make the job so much easier and safer to do.
@Smurf do the ankalad stay on the ladders all the time and fold into the ladders or do they come on and off as needed?

@norm the new Ankalad's are now bolted on through the hollow ali steps using threaded bar steel that comes in the fixing kit and yep they fold in for transporting about. The old design you had to drill holes in the stiles or by some threaded bar yourself.

You could take the ankalad off if you want by undoing 4 nuts but takes time but. However a major advantage with an ankalad it's fixed to the ladder so you can't forget to use it unlike other so say ladder safety devices.

@Smurf do the ankalad stay on the ladders all the time and fold into the ladders or do they come on and off as needed?

thanks @Smurf i am going to get one or possibly midland ladders similar device and attache to my gutter ladder

always find the gutter cleaning has higher risk than windows and attached and folding away on ladder sounds ideal

At least you know you will be working alot safer @norm for the sake of the small cost of that kit /emoticons/wink.png

Right then just ordered all the pro gutter tools an Ankalad a standoff a scoop and a new bucket!!!!!!

Bring on the gutters......:)

Nice one David:thumbsup:

Right then just ordered all the pro gutter tools an Ankalad a standoff a scoop and a new bucket!!!!!!Bring on the gutters....../emoticons/smile.png

I could not be arsed to go and do a gutter clearing site survey on one job I had booked in today so just gave a price over the phone after looking on google and asking a few relevent questions as you do.

Can you guess what question I forgot to ask?

I could not be arsed to go and do a gutter clearing site survey on one job I had booked in today so just gave a price over the phone after looking on google and asking a few relevent questions as you do.
Can you guess what question I forgot to ask?
outside tap?

Latest Posts

Back