Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Book keeping

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bhj1

I am starting off a small window cleaning round, what books should I keep? I have a couple of ideas but could do with some examples of how other smaller set ups do there books, don't want to know figures or anything just how you record your work and what you actually write down and what on/in

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Your best of looking at the .gov website and doing a google search to get the basics.

If in any doubt contact an accountant

Hi mate good luck with your new business. For the book keeping there are a number of apps etc you can use to keep track although there is nothing wrong with good old fashioned book and pen at the start. Jve been going almost a year and built up a pretty busy round now but still use this. Simple in column (what you earn) an out column (any expenses equipment etc) then at the bottoms what's left is your profit this is the figure you are taxed on. Make sure you inform Hmrc within 90 days of starting and your good to go

Hi mate good luck with your new business. For the book keeping there are a number of apps etc you can use to keep track although there is nothing wrong with good old fashioned book and pen at the start. Jve been going almost a year and built up a pretty busy round now but still use this. Simple in column (what you earn) an out column (any expenses equipment etc) then at the bottoms what's left is your profit this is the figure you are taxed on. Make sure you inform Hmrc within 90 days of starting and your good to go

So, a new page per day? Per week? Do you log every job in your books or just a daily total?

I would recommend george. Its £50 for the software.

You can keep track of your round on it and also all your income and expenses.

Its well worth the money vs pen and paper

So, a new page per day? Per week? Do you log every job in your books or just a daily total?

To be honest mate don't worry about the books in too much depth.you can use as many pages in the book as you want but most important first is get some basic kit start practising every hour you have on yours and familys/ mates houses etc then when your ready to get customers. Then when you start earning money worry about how to record it. Like the others said there's George and similar software or pen/ paper whatever. It's not hard really but pointless anyway with no customers!!!

If u have an email address I can send you over a blank excel spread sheet I use. It has all the formulas laid out so type in the work you have done for that day and it adds it up monthly, quarterly and annually just from the one figure. I used to work with excel a lot in my old job so bit geeky but it works for me lol

I use a book and it works pretty well for me. I have a small book with squared paper like a grid and I have the street name at the top, the house numbers down the left column with the prices next to them in the next column. Then the date of the cleans runs along the tops. So each square on the page is for one property cleaned on a particular date. When I've done the street I put the date at the top and in each box below that corresponds to a house I put a / for done, a \ for paid or a O for not done. So if a house is cleaned and they've paid there'll be a X in the box.

It's simpler than it sounds. And always use pencil in case it rains or you make a mistake.

WP_20170301_10_00_17_Pro.jpg

a good excuse to get out of the house more now haha, been there,

i take the dog out now before Ttime, usually ready when i get back. brill.

what shop do you get your books from with the small squares on pages. better than the plain pages. easier to put a tick or x for payments, tidyer

a good excuse to get out of the house more now haha, been there,i take the dog out now before Ttime, usually ready when i get back. brill.

what shop do you get your books from with the small squares on pages. better than the plain pages. easier to put a tick or x for payments, tidyer
Lol same here with the dog /emoticons/smile.png I got the book from Waterstones, its the only place I could find them. The brand is Moleskine and they're great for windows. There's a pocket in the back for putting notes and cards in, a place marker and elastic strap to keep it closed. Very hard wearing too- I keep mine in my trouser pocket while working and have had it for years and its in good nick still. I just mark customers off as I've done them so don't have to do any paperwork when I get home then.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i use my car for window cleaning work can i claim for all of the fuel/insurance/tax etc??
If you use it for work then you can put down a percentage of the costs (fuel, ins, tax, repairs etc) as expenses against your profit. For example if you do half the miles for work and half the miles for personal things you can use 50% of the costs. Keep your receipt's for fuel and write the mileage on the top so you know how many miles you've done in case you use the mileage allowance on your tax return.

I have done some research and am I able to claim 45p per mile instead or a percentage.

Yeah the mileage allowance is 45p but you can only claim for business miles not personal miles. So you still have to estimate what percentage you use your vehicle for personal use and business use. It's not easy to know exactly so just give it your best guess.

Back