Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

do you clean window shuts ?! how much to charge

S

sdrah

hi - I was asked to clean a 4 bed house , all windows inside plus window shuts . Never cleaned before and I have tried today to steam clean few windows as I think that's the easiest way to do a proper job .

Any idea how much to charge for that ?! cheers

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

Never done em mate so I would 'nt no what to charge. By the looks of your pics the steam cleaner made a good job of em, what make of cleaner did you use? and how long did it take you I think it could well be worth offering as a service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never done em mate so I would 'nt no what to charge. By the looks of your pics the steam cleaner made a good job of em, what make of cleaner did you use? and how long did it take you I think it could well be worth offering as a service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is only dirt there ( no paint / cement etc) - then the steamer will melt / blow everything off in no time - just to leave a towel on the sill to protect the wall from splashing . And yes I also thought it would be great to add the service on my webpage .

I use this steamer however a cheaper one would cope too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karcher-DE4002-Professional-Steam-Cleaner-240volt-BRAND-NEW-BOXED-IN-STOCK-/171275456624?pt=UK_Vacuum_Cleaners&hash=item27e0d01070

No idea either mate, but that steam cleaners done a nice job. Probably best to do one and time it, and then multiply by the amount of windows, And then work your hourly rate into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one I have been asked to do was a conservatory interior deep clean including the openers (shuts) by hand and took forever to do as was painted hardwood frames so could not use a steamer.

steam produces a lot of heat how would this affect seals etc.

looks a nice clean finish @sdrah

I don't think it can affect the seals as you run the steam nozzle only few seconds over and the dirt is gone .

It may however affect the hinges ?! as most of the grease (if any?!) is melted together with dirt

Done these once, used a 1.5 inch quality paint brush to remove dust, then soapy cloth, then dry cloth.

If you allow 5 mins additional time per window you should be well covered.

If extremely bad take a decent vacuum cleaner with dusting tool on, use instead of paint brush.

Mr B

the steamer will melt / blow everything off in no time - just to leave a towel on the sill to protect the wall from splashing .
Yup, steamer is great for this.

I find it easier with a micro-fiber cloth in the other hand an inch or two away from the nozzle....that way, the steamer nozzle is blowing the dirt and any wetness straight into the M/F and no chance of dirty splashes anywhere.....quicker too /emoticons/wink.png.

Only one I have been asked to do was a conservatory interior deep clean including the openers (shuts) by hand and took forever to do as was painted hardwood frames so could not use a steamer.
I've done painted frames too with my steam cleaner....not a problem. My steamer has a variable pressure dial, but even if they don't, just hold the nozzle a bit further away from the surface with your M/F in other hand collecting the dirt as you go.

And always use pure water when filling your steamer.......stops the insides furring-up like your kettle /emoticons/wink.png.

Hi @Bingo the paint was not in great condition so did not want to risk making it any worse.:thumbsup:

I've done painted frames too with my steam cleaner....not a problem. My steamer has a variable pressure dial, but even if they don't, just hold the nozzle a bit further away from the surface with your M/F in other hand collecting the dirt as you go.

I have a costumer who gets me to do this all the time really annoying but she is scared of spiders and her theory is if its clean theres no spiders lol. I charge an extra £1 Per window for doing it but the way you do it looks better all i use is a damp sponge then dry it afterwards.

I have a costumer who gets me to do this all the time really annoying but she is scared of spiders and her theory is if its clean theres no spiders lol. I charge an extra £1 Per window for doing it but the way you do it looks better all i use is a damp sponge then dry it afterwards.
according to one of my custys...dont know if its true.....spiders dont like conkers....she has them at every window....:rofl:

Back