Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Loads of advice needed please.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

here you go fella,
Pole Window Cleaning Water System - Vyair (UK) Ltd

the reason i went for this one as my first RO unit was because in the list of features it says it automatically flushed the membranes and its pumped so you don't have worry about mains water pressure.

Replacement filters are about £18 (for all 3) (Reverse Osmosis 3 Stage Filters - Vyair (UK) Ltd)

Replacement RO membranes are £31.74 currently (Amfor TW30-2012-100 Ultra Low Pressure Membrane - Vyair (UK) Ltd).

Of course all filters and membranes come with it when you first buy.

here is the DI Vessel I got. (11.7 Litre Resin Vessel - Vyair (UK) Ltd).

hope that helps

I have the vyair one to. As said it does everything for you. Collecting water is a must. Over the last 2 months I've harvest about 800 litres. A quick run through the DI & done

if your tds is low enough you can get away with a di vessel. Check out Ungers new Hydropower Di it come in different sizes and with built in tds meter. I have one and it is very good quality. Resin is in a bag and changing only take seconds.But check the tds in your tap first, before buying a ro would be my advise.
I like look of those Unger Di jobs

How you finding it ? Not cheap are they

On the van front ... I had combo for years and just gone to Dispatch - massive difference well worth the extra size- even for one man i would not go back to combo size

I have the vyair one to. As said it does everything for you. Collecting water is a must. Over the last 2 months I've harvest about 800 litres. A quick run through the DI & done
How do you go about harvesting your rainwater?

Polzn bladz did a vid once with his setup

I think he had about 6 butts from memory all connected so one overflowed into the next and so on

It won't make enough for you though Neil being totally wfp
Yeah, something worth bearing in mind for the future maybe. Free water is good. /emoticons/wink.png

I'm still a bit stuck trying to get my head around di vessels if anyone could give me a pointer. I know what they are, I know what they do and I know where they go but I don't understand why there's different sizes and what size I would want to get if I go down this route. I've spent ages on google but there's not a huge amount of info out there.

Cheers for the input :thumbsup:
It's good to hear that Courtney has plans. I don't expect him to disappear but I don't like the fact that I'm totally reliant on someone else.

It's interesting to hear from other local window cleaners. I know there's a fair few of us in the town but it's always seemed to me that there is enough work for everyone. I can literally go for days without seeing another window cleaner. I've come up against the 'beer money' prices quite regularly but have found that the vast majority of customers are happy to pay a higher price for a better job.

Earlier today I quoted a house in the old town. I was working at the house next door and the woman asked me for a price because her old window cleaner had retired. I asked how much she was paying him. Five quid. Five quid for a large three bed semi :eek: I told her that my price was £15 and she said she was happy with that and commented on how good next doors windows always looked.
There is still work out there but don't forget are industry in built on supply and demand.

Last year saw around 6-7(that I know of) start up in are area.

Now I know of one that went canvassing on the new estate near great ashby and it had all ready been hit by and canvassed around 5x before he tried he picked up some for around the £13(average)now this area has been hit again by someone going in around £8-9 and were he has not built up a relashionship with the customers he had to drop the price on some or lose the job

Another new starter I know started out last year and would purposely go in low on a new street so as he put it"to get his foot in door"

I saw Courtney fit 2 separate new nicely sign written vans out this summer all new starters looking for work.

This year will be no different we will probably get another 5-6 set up.

While it easy to pick up the new stuff its finding the quality and keeping it which will establish you a good business.

I say this to you as to be cautious when spending or committing to an investment.

I have seen it happen big time in the commercial sector people thinking the good times would never end one bloke I know has lost over 1.5k a month in the last two years.

Some of my work gets canvassed regular.

I've been lucky on that new estate then

I do a fair few on there now all 12 - 14 quid jobbies which is good for 2 and 3 bed new build terraced houses which are tiny

You're right though i do see a lot of new faces popping up

Yeah, something worth bearing in mind for the future maybe. Free water is good. /emoticons/wink.png
I'm still a bit stuck trying to get my head around di vessels if anyone could give me a pointer. I know what they are, I know what they do and I know where they go but I don't understand why there's different sizes and what size I would want to get if I go down this route. I've spent ages on google but there's not a huge amount of info out there.

I've got 2 4.5 litre di's. I connect them together & they make a 9 litre Di. So yeah I could have bought 7 or higher but I bought small as I can get one in the van as occasionally I make 25 litres of water at a customers house. I spose the bigger you have the more resin you put in but I guess you don't have to change it that often. If your going ro route I spose you don't really need a 25 litre but if your only going Di 25 litre is best. My 2 small ones work fine for me with my 200gpd ro. I don't claim to know all about Di but that's my contribution

Thanks for your contribution @Posh.

From what I can gather through searching google (which mainly takes me to other forums) is that a 7 litre di is what I would need alongside a 450gpd ro.

Hopefully a Di expert will come along and set me straight. I'm surprised how little info there is on the web although it's possible I'm looking in the wrong places.

I like look of those Unger Di jobsHow you finding it ? Not cheap are they
They are really great, cost some but not more in comparison to a regular Di, the thing that push the running cost a bit up is the resin bags they are bit more expensive than a bag of resin.

But to be true its worth every penny when resin is finish you open it, take resin bag, insert new resin bag, job in 2 min. Plus the built in tds meter gives a reading in real time.

A local windy to me tried rainwater harvesting but gave up because we didn't have enough rain to keep up with his usage, but in theory its a good idea, you just need to get permission to harvest off a local retail parks roofs or something like that.
Yeah and anyway it could be a free supp. to the Daily use . Mine is free off the roof . /emoticons/smile.png

I used this handy little calculator on the gardiner website when I first looked in to pure systems

Resin_Calculator.xls

I also took into account that you get 25litres of resin in a bag so if you get a vessel that was 27 litres you have a large outlay initially to fill the thing - and subsequently when you do it again. I went for a 11ltr which - at the moment - seems plenty as long as the TDS is monitored regularly. Work off a worst case scenario for water consumption and you won't go far wrong; whatever size you do get you will always be able to use somewhere. The bigger unit you get the less frequently you will have to change it - but also the more it costs upfront and when filling up.

Back