Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie struggling with rubbers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TradMatt

Evening all, after a bit of advice please…

I’m new to window cleaning and I’ve been going with traditional a few months now. I’ve been having problems with squeegee rubber leaving lines of water/soap on windows and I’m not sure what’s causing it.

I use a liquidator with unger black series power rubber (with unger clips to hold it in place). I started getting a line from one part of the rubber, couldn’t see any imperfection but flipped it anyway and I’m getting the same issue on the other side in exactly the same place. I swapped that rubber for a new one and it’s happening again…

Has anyone experienced this or have any tips for what I can do to rectify? I’ve just ordered some pulex soft rubber to see if I get on any better.

Cheers in advance ??

Evening all, after a bit of advice please…

I’m new to window cleaning and I’ve been going with traditional a few months now. I’ve been having problems with squeegee rubber leaving lines of water/soap on windows and I’m not sure what’s causing it.

I use a liquidator with unger black series power rubber (with unger clips to hold it in place). I started getting a line from one part of the rubber, couldn’t see any imperfection but flipped it anyway and I’m getting the same issue on the other side in exactly the same place. I swapped that rubber for a new one and it’s happening again…

Has anyone experienced this or have any tips for what I can do to rectify? I’ve just ordered some pulex soft rubber to see if I get on any better.

Cheers in advance ??
Welcome. A small nick you can hardly see in the rubber could be the problem. Squeegee rubber can be easily damaged. We often come across windows that are pitted from someone's careless use of an angle grinder.

If you replace the rubber with a new length and the problem is solved then you have your answer.

Back in the old but not so good days when most cleaners were trad, we often heard of a cleaner replacing his rubber at the beginning of every second day. The first day was a new rubber and the second day he would swap the rubber round.

We made our rubbers last longer than a day because I'm tight. ?

There is only two places to look aren't there @mike007 . ? If it's not the rubber then it's the squeegee channel. Changing the rubber will either solve the problem or not. If it doesn't then the o/p has his answer.

Welcome. A small nick you can hardly see in the rubber could be the problem. Squeegee rubber can be easily damaged. We often come across windows that are pitted from someone's careless use of an angle grinder.

If you replace the rubber with a new length and the problem is solved then you have your answer.

Back in the old but not so good days when most cleaners were trad, we often heard of a cleaner replacing his rubber at the beginning of every second day. The first day was a new rubber and the second day he would swap the rubber round.

We made our rubbers last longer than a day because I'm tight. ?
Cheers for the advice. Makes sense, I’ll try swapping the rubber out today and see how long it takes to happen again. For me its more a mystery as to why I keep getting nicks in exactly the same spot ??‍♂️

Always use Soft rubber to begin with. There is plenty of posts regarding the best combination which is liquidator channel and Ettore Combination Handle. ?

Might it be technique? You could try swiping across instead of down or vice versa, or in one continuous S shaped motion and doing the whole pane at once - which is also the quickest and most efficient when you get the hang of it (but can't remember what it's called )

Could also be the boab. Quite often after frequent use they get worn down and create a sharp point where the rubber sits causing a nick or slight groove in the rubber. Try and line up if the nick is where the rubber sits resting in your boab and you may have your answer. If that’s the case I used to cut a little piece off an old rubber and stick it to the boab to prevent this from happening.

Cheers for the advice. Makes sense, I’ll try swapping the rubber out today and see how long it takes to happen again. For me its more a mystery as to why I keep getting nicks in exactly the same spot ??‍♂️
Also check the line is not coming from the part of the rubber that the removable handle grips to.

Could also be the boab. Quite often after frequent use they get worn down and create a sharp point where the rubber sits causing a nick or slight groove in the rubber. Try and line up if the nick is where the rubber sits resting in your boab and you may have your answer. If that’s the case I used to cut a little piece off an old rubber and stick it to the boab to prevent this from happening.
That is exactly it, lined it up and it’s exactly where it sits in the boab! I’ll try what you’ve said and I reckon that’ll fix it. Cheers!

Might it be technique? You could try swiping across instead of down or vice versa, or in one continuous S shaped motion and doing the whole pane at once - which is also the quickest and most efficient when you get the hang of it (but can't remember what it's called )
Could well be mate. I haven’t had the luxury of being taught by an old hand, I’ve just tried to teach myself via numerous YouTube videos ??‍♂️

Glad that you have found the problem @TradMatt and also thanks for coming back and reporting your findings. It helps us all. Also thanks to @Cleanco who suggested the boab. I never experienced that issue with using my boab all those years ago doing trad. Those trad days are long forgotten.

Glad that you have found the problem @TradMatt and also thanks for coming back and reporting your findings. It helps us all. Also thanks to @Cleanco who suggested the boab. I never experienced that issue with using my boab all those years ago doing trad. Those trad days are long forgotten.
Like you but getting asked to do more internals after neglecting my trad stuff. When I got round to them I found i needed new rubbers.

Did the same when I switched over wfp just winged it. Fairly soon it all comes together. Money is a good motivator.
Yes money is an excellent motivator. That's why we're doing it after all. And whether it's windows, pressure washing, soft wash or whatever you've got to wing it in the early days otherwise you'll never get anywhere....respect people's property, go slow and steady and be very very careful with all chemicals, and you should be fine.
And when you are experienced don't think you know it all cos there's always more to learn. We all have to work it out for ourselves being self employed.

Yes money is an excellent motivator. That's why we're doing it after all. And whether it's windows, pressure washing, soft wash or whatever you've got to wing it in the early days otherwise you'll never get anywhere....respect people's property, go slow and steady and be very very careful with all chemicals, and you should be fine.
And when you are experienced don't think you know it all cos there's always more to learn. We all have to work it out for ourselves being self employed.
Great post.

Back