Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with split relay/battery

Hey all

Got an issue with my system. Voltage showing on battery is 12v which I think is too low. Split relay kicks in when van starts, clicks on and off for about 45min then stops as if the charge is held, but once I check the battery level it's still showing 12 :-/

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Start engine then turn on controller leave for a minute then see if it's charging

IMG_0072.JPG

the reason iask is mate,the newer vans control ampage to various components controlled by the ecu,hence you need a specific vsr for this-may be worth checking to see if you have the right one.

your underlying problem is that your battery is flat,simple as that if i'm honest.

thats why the relay is clicking on and off,they have a low voltage limit and shut off when it goes below that(in laymanns terms)consider adding a second battery of the same amp hour (ah) to make the working week easier and buy a battery charger to suit these two batteries to keep you going throughout the week-i guess you don't travel a lot of miles during the week

the reason iask is mate,the newer vans control ampage to various components controlled by the ecu,hence you need a specific vsr for this-may be worth checking to see if you have the right one.your underlying problem is that your battery is flat,simple as that if i'm honest.

thats why the relay is clicking on and off,they have a low voltage limit and shut off when it goes below that(in laymanns terms)consider adding a second battery of the same amp hour (ah) to make the working week easier and buy a battery charger to suit these two batteries to keep you going throughout the week-i guess you don't travel a lot of miles during the week
About 400miles a week at the min.

I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Cheers

Have you checked the fuses, I don't do anywhere near that mileage and mine keeps reasonably well charged I do top up when needed.

Bizarrely the controller is now giving me a reading of 12.2v. This is about what it normally shows after a working week.

How long of a delay is there in a reading showing different charge levels? I'm guessing it's not instantaneous?

I've been on the phone to WCW this morning anyway and awaiting a call back from one of their engineers so I'll get a verbal inspection done anyway but finding it odd that it's now jumped again.

Yes of course you can help.

There are several cleaning options for split relay/battery, we can help you in this.Our maid service New York offers you the superior cleaning ever! All our maids have experience of several years and are trained in all aspects, they know that the quality of their work is strictly supervised, so they treat their work with responsibility, striving to exceed customer’s expectations. Our maid team will clean each inch of your working place and convert your house environment into harmonious paradise and peaceful spot.

Luxury Cleaning Company takes the full responsibility for our services to make you sure that we are trustworthy and the best.

I hope, I helped you.
ah

you should have two fuses mate each one within 200mm of the vans main battery and the relay,they are in small rectangular plactic clip boxes where the cable goes through,those chargers are pretty much bullitt proof and i have had them on various stystems with no issues at all.

i had one once supposedly the best you can buy and all it did was give me greif,the relay always trying to latch on (the same clicking you are hearing)

as a stop gap you can either charge the battery every night or take the relay cover off and unbolt the lead from the vehicle battery and attach that to your positive terminal/post on your leisure battery-that will get you by

Mine van is a blue hdi. So do I need a different spilt relay ??
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
A customer has a Peugeot Tepee on a 62 plate. It has stop start but I doubt if it has regenerative charging.

These additions were slowly added so the manufacturers could test the water before the last major emissions regulation change.

As Grippa say on their site, if your van is a 2015 or newer then the chances are that it has ECU controlled charging to meet Euro 6 emission regulations introduced in Sept 2015 for all new vehicle sales. Vehicles with regenerative charging do not have standard lead acid starter batteries. They have Silver Calcium or Calcium Calcium batteries as charging is at a higher voltage for a faster charge. So I would say that reading the label on your battery will start to point you in the direction of a battery to battery charger after further investigation.

The VSR @C Rose Cleaning Services has is a Durite unit which is pretty reliable. If the unit is clicking in and out then it indicates that the relay is working. But he needs to check that the earth from the VSR is making good contact with the body of the van first. If it is then the clicking on and off could be the vehicles charging system keeping the starter battery at an 80% charge level required by the system to provide capacity for the regenerative system to work.

So the ECU may only be sending short bursts of charge to the starter battery which in turn is also activating the VSR to charge the leisure battery.

The only way you will know exactly what system you have is to go into the main dealer with your chassis number and ask them to print you out a detailed vehicle spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah split charge relays are becoming obsolete with van manufactures bring in smart alternators.

You need a battery to battery charger, sterling power do a good one for £200 ish.

The very reason I just charge my leisure battery once a week with extension cable. Everything is money!

Damm my new van is 2016. So there goes £400 more!
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
cc @ C Rose Cleaning Services. FYI also.

Unfortunately this is they way things are going. I'm fortunate as I park my van on the driveway. If I had a new van I would probably just plug the charger in every night. My VSR doesn't keep my battery fully charged anyway as we just do local mileage.

Different engine manufacturers are approaching emissions in different ways. PSA for example, initially fitted the DPF filter and they now have added the Adblue system.

Before you start spending money on a battery to battery charger I would buy one of the voltmeters that push into the cigarette lighter/aux socket on the dash board.

LED Car Auto Battery Electric Cigarette Lighter Voltmeter Voltage Meter Tester | eBay

As you drive along monitor what the voltage is on the meter. If it reading around12.6 volts with the engine running then chances are that you have an ECU controlled charging system. Then take the van out on a test run and find a reasonably long down hill where you can take your foot off the accelerator and let the engine run on compression. (I think the RPM of the engine needs to be around 1500 or more.) If the volt meter reading jumps up to 15 + volts then you have regenerative charging.

If you do then the old VSR will not work for you. You need a Battery to battery charger. Sterling have done them for years and I once found one slightly cheaper than Grippatank.

Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' Battery-To-Battery Charger - 12V/12V 30A

Last edited by a moderator:
Back