Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Merlin ro system help!

Newtothegame

I changed my resin last month, I'm in a hard water area but my tds meter is already testing my water between 0.4 - 0.9? Does anyone know what it could be? Do filters need regular cleaning or maybe need to be replaced? I'd appreciate if anyone could help and shed some light.

It would help to know the following

what is your tap water tds?

what is the tds reading output from the ro before the di?

what size di tank are you using?

how much water do you produce a day?

how old is the ro and have you ever changed the filters in it?

I change my filters twice a year and my membrane yearly , I find sometimes if there not sat correctly when fitting it can cause the finished water to be higher tds that it should be

Decent water softener before any Ro system is essential in my view in a hard water area. As a predominance of the tds is scale

I have found that Merlins produce a fair amount of water and they don't cost much to begin with.

But they are known for high water use (high waste output to pure output ratio.) They also aren't very efficient. For example a fellow windie is getting a TDS of 10 from our local water supply of around 125. My 4040 is producing at a TDS of 2 from the same water supply. So his resin costs are much more than mine, even although we use more water a day than he does. (He is a single operator where there are 3 of us.)

Even poor Alex Gardiner is down to sellingMerlins (sorry PRF-RO) at the moment. I think he was talking about a rejection rate of 93% on a video I watched of him promoting the product.

So resin costs are going to be high with a new Merlin, even worse once the system gets a bit older.

I was put off from getting a merlin RO when I spoke to a few windies as they said the same thing as spruce.

Back