Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Washing sill cloths in own washing machine?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

The sill cloths I wash have mud, bits of twigs, and all sorts of **** in them. Will this block up anything in my washing machine? Anyone know how to clean a washing machines fliter etc

Shall I use the launderette? I wash my baby's clothes in the same machine and the missus insists I do a 15mins short wash between (with no clothes in the machine).

Also, noticed scrim is leaving hairs do people wash them separately to microfibers at the hottest temperature now and then?

If I took my cloth's in to the mrs to wash she would throw them at me, she has told me they are not going anywhere near our washing machine that the families clothes go in .......

If u use scrims the lint will block the waste pipe on ya washing machine.

I use microfibres I get from tool station/screw fix, £20 for bag of 50, and just hand wash them in a bucket of fresh water

The sill cloths I wash have mud, bits of twigs, and all sorts of **** in them. Will this block up anything in my washing machine? Anyone know how to clean a washing machines fliter etc
Shall I use the launderette? I wash my baby's clothes in the same machine and the missus insists I do a 15mins short wash between (with no clothes in the machine).

Also, noticed scrim is leaving hairs do people wash them separately to microfibers at the hottest temperature now and then?
I only use towelling for sill cloths, so much better than scrim. what I do is this; I never wring out cloths, when they are too wet to use they are put to one side. when I get home I put them into a tub of cold water and bleach. I have a spin drier that I use only for them, not every day, depending on the weather etc. when they have been spun I shake them out and any bits on them will come off then. After that, I hang them up to dry. I've been doing it this way for the last twenty years. Towels last a lot longer, and absorb more water than scrims, I haven't bought any new ones for about four years.

I was scrims micro fibres and applicator sleeves on a 30 wash. Got a few so only wash them every 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes when I clean an old peoples sheltered housing thingy I will use one of their machines in the laundry room. Scrims and applicator sleeves on a 90 degree wash. They come out like new!

I just Wash the load , separate of course. If they are really dirty I just flush them on the outside tap and give them a good twist by hand . Really it's just dirt ! Not human feces,or brain-matter.... /emoticons/wink.png . Mine are glass cloths . Microfiber.

is that true that the lint will block my washer/dryer? Maybe wash them all at a launderette.

I got 5 scrims and 5 microfibers

I have more sil cloths, but many are small. The cheap microfibers from B and Q. Maybe I should buy more microfibers as they're lint free so I only have to wash them all once every 2 or 3 weeks instead of once a week for my Saturday round which these days is more wfp anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter is at the front bottom of the machine
That little hatch you open and unscrew and water comes out? How do you clean it? And am I worrying about the lint and odd twig and dirt too much on my washer/dryer? Won't it all just go there and not mess up machine?

That's it , as far as I remember any **** that's in it comes out.
I put them in with microfibers (for detailing) and sill cloths. does lint knacker up the washer/dryer?

What sill cloths do people recommend , by the way? I found these cheap microfibers great at getting rid of all the water and little bits of dirt off sills to make them nice but they are small. Maybe I should also get a small squeegee to get rid of excess water instead of mopping it all up with the clothes.

Not really , you just need to clean your filter, I bought a new washing machine 3 years ago and still haven't cleaned the filter lol

I

I only use towelling for sill cloths, so much better than scrim. what I do is this; I never wring out cloths, when they are too wet to use they are put to one side. when I get home I put them into a tub of cold water and bleach. I have a spin drier that I use only for them, not every day, depending on the weather etc. when they have been spun I shake them out and any bits on them will come off then. After that, I hang them up to dry. I've been doing it this way for the last twenty years. Towels last a lot longer, and absorb more water than scrims, I haven't bought any new ones for about four years.

I found scheap B and Q scrims are great for mopping up the water on sill, but get too wet quickly as they're small, where you get your towels. I use scrims for detailing

I

I found scheap B and Q scrims are great for mopping up the water on sill, but get too wet quickly as they're small, where you get your towels. I use scrims for detailing
Any good housewares shop. You can buy good quality hand towels, 50 x 100cm, for about £3.50, get as plain as you can, don't get patterned ones, you then cut them in half and you have two good sized sill cloths. Best if when they are brand new is too soak them in hot soapy water for 15 minutes, then rinse and dry. You don't have to have a spin drier, you can wring them out by hand, but it' not very nice in the winter.

Back