Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Type of wire

WCF

Help Support WCF:

peter rogers

Hi guys

Need to do some rewiring and looking to see what type of wire shud I use. . ? As before I'd use any type I have lyin round house. But looking something more reliable

Automotive tri cable is the best bet, have a look on eBay. Loads of it about and some of the sellers have charts on what diameter to use for what current. You could use normal household cable but it would be a bit overkill as well as being not too friendly to work with. What are you thinking of wiring up Peter Rogers?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Re wiring my system as the connection are fecked So total rewire from battery to the the controllers to the pumps. Wat would u class. As household wire ? My system has been chopped an changed Extra lengths added in etc. it be a mess so I'm looking to run clean runs of wire without having to join wires together

Bite the bullet and get some auto wire then mate. Really easy to work with and it comes in lots of pretty colours if that's your thing. Get some in line splices too so you can have a short section to join in to if your pump, controller or whatever goes tits up, quick change of components then instead of having to order at the last minute or just twisting wires together to get by.

Household wire can be anything from 2.5mm twin and earth used for mains to your 0.75mm flex cable for table lamps etc. Just bear in mind if you are running in longer lengths than normal you will need to use a larger diameter cable to allow for voltage drop etc. Like I said a lot of sellers on eBay have good guides on cable size, I can PM you a few links if you like.

Please do mate. As. Having problems with volts at min. But working thru it from battery to controller it be bout 4 metres and from pump to controller it be 3 metre of cable

2.5mm is more than enough but I will check my eBay tomorrow and see which of the sellers I looked at have the charts to look at. If you get stuck with planning it out I can do a quick sketch for you if you like - but assume if you are just re-wiring it will be easy enough

Just had a quick look and I can't find the seller on eBay that had the charts, but most of the auctions for TRI rated cable have the 'rating' in the listing title. Example item number 261104946848. Also - this is a good site for checking cable size against current draw: Cable sizing and selection | 12 volt planet

So 2.5mm over 3 metres is plenty for the pump with a 10amp fuse - the fuse being the weakest point. When I first chucked my system in the van I used household 0.75mm cable over 3 meters with no noticeable drop in performance - obviously not the best thing to do on from a safety point of view as the cable would have melted before the 10a fuse blew.

Latest Posts

Back