Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Faster Way of Filling Backpack

Brandon

Morning all, just got myself a Gardiner backpack and absolutely love it. My only issue is filling it. As I use rainwater and produce my pure in the van the only way to fill the backpack (as far as I know) is through my pump and DI and is taking over 4 minutes to fill which is far too long!

I know you can't speed up the rate the water comes out the DI as that would kill the resin

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can get around this slow filling?

I thought of maybe a second smaller tank that is connected to my DI with a float switch to stop it from overfilling maybe?

Or maybe a way of filling barrels while I work but again don't want them to overflow!

Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should get a few barrels (2 should do), whilst cleaning a house with backpack you can leave the barrels filling up or do in morning before you leave or whatever then just fill backpack from barrels an this will be faster.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

So why not simply treat the water onnthe way to the van? Run it through filtration before it gets to the tank?
I've thought about this. I have a 1000 litre IBC tank that holds the rainwater which is about 5 metres away from where I park the van. I was going to buy a submersible pump and that will fill the van tank in minutes, can't do that if I'm filtering the water so would I have to hook up a shurflo pump and DI to the IBC and just fill the tank that way. Surely that would take forever?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you should get a few barrels (2 should do), whilst cleaning a house with backpack you can leave the barrels filling up or do in morning before you leave or whatever then just fill backpack from barrels an this will be faster.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Hi Hunty thanks for you reply.

Ive got barrels and have tried this but the barrels just end up overflowing and can't be dealing with coming back to the van to keep checking on them!

Hi Hunty thanks for you reply.Ive got barrels and have tried this but the barrels just end up overflowing and can't be dealing with coming back to the van to keep checking on them!

But you add a controller. My son uses this method and runs the pump on 2 usually. We have Varistream controllers. Usually 2 is enough to fill the 25 liter plastic container in time for him to need a refill. On occasion the drum overflows if he gets 'caught' but one of us usually gets back to the van in time.

2 on the controller probably pumps a liter of water a minute maybe fractionally less.

I do it the same way , but not with backpacks though. The reason for my onboard DI is, IF I should of some reason on a bigger job ,run outta water, then I can get moving again just by filling tap water in the tank . I know it would kill off my resin quick,but could be cheaper than going back and forth for saying 50 liters maybe .. And then it's a quick way to utilize my harvested rainwater. My rain is about 8-12 ppm. The other day I got 600 free liters .

Agree with green here ! You gotta purify that water with DI before it hits the tank in van . As for myself it dosnt matter as im running it directly to the reel with no waiting time on my van Mount . You of course dont have time for that . Or get a vanmount ...

Back