Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just started out - need advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jake144

So I've been unemployed for a while so I've decided to give window cleaning a go at starting my own, need some advice though.

I've borrowed money to buy my own small round (£120 a week worth) been doing it 3 weeks now and all is well.

I don't have enough money to buy anymore work and won't for a while, I work roughly 12-16 hours a week.

I'm 20 and currently still live with my mum and dad, but I would like to expand my business but don't have money to do so.

Am I entitled to JSA or universal credit or something? I'm only working part time currently and don't want another job I just want to expand.

Don't worry about what you are entitled to...get out and knock doors during every bit of spare time you have and you won't need the services of gov direct any more

That is the way to get busy quick

12-16 hours a week leaves 24-28 hours a week to knock doors before you even do the same hours as a normal job

In the area I live you can't just go round knocking on doors every area is someone's patch and as I've just started out I don't want to start making enemies with other cleaners in the area.

What about neighbours of the current round? I've been posting a printed ether through the doors that basically says "I clean your neighbours windows at number 4 and number 8 and will be back in 4 weeks time. Give me a ring on blah if you would like me to do yours at the same time. Doesn't bring in loads of work but it's more effective than just banging a leaflet through.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

In the area I live you can't just go round knocking on doors every area is someone's patch and as I've just started out I don't want to start making enemies with other cleaners in the area.
I have to tell you THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SOMEONES PATCH!! Get out knock everyone's door, if they have a windy just say "OK, thanks, does he do many here??" If they say no then keep knocking if they say yes keep knocking anyway. If you don't pinch custys then they can't kick off. You will not be able to claim anything, so just go for it. Where are you living by the way??

Get that out of your head straight away mate

It's a common misconception new guys have. When I started out people said are you going to buy round? I was like no. Was told you can't just go around starting rounds anywhere.

No one has any right to an area or "patch" if you get any problems be sensible and goto the police. Remember you are running a professional business and don't need the agro of getting into conflicts.

Most of the window cleaners I see are friendly and just like me. The only time I've had funny looks is off the 5 quid dinosaur guys who think it's still 1985. They get told to **** off. I work to hard to be told when and where I can clean.

Anyway with your original point in not having funds well there's only two ways to make it in business.

1st way is to use money to obtain customers.

2nd way is to use, and I quote @daveyboy here " SHOE LEATHER"

personally o found door knocking really hard so I used facebook and leaflets and then when i got a bit of money I u vested it into canvassing. Getting the ball rolling and the money flowing is the hard part, when you get to that point you can pay others to door knock or leaflet but until then you are stuck.

Door knocking is by far the quickest and best method

I was only told once i couldn't work in a certain area since i moved and rebuilt a round

That area is now my best area on my round

That is because i deliberately bashed as many doors as i could

When living in london a few tried it on but that was back in the day when you could get away with chinning the bugger and making your point

I hate canvassing (although I'd do it if my livelihood depended on it) so I'd be absolutely hammering the Facebook groups if it was me. Join as many as you can and post morning, noon and night. That's what I did when I first started. And don't put some crappy advert on there (like that guy near us @daveyboy :eek:), put some real effort into it. Set yourself up a Facebook business page, keep it up to date and professional and you'll soon be getting work.

@Jake144 here's a wee story.

Recently I came under fire in my local town; from the old traditional dinosaurs that reminder me often they have worked the town for like ever. They were warning me.

The issue is that due to lots of guys buying work they end up actually thinking they own it, and this particular area I am working sounds similar to yours.

My situation ended up with the ******* glueing my front door locks but they won't say boo to me when see me working. Infact just yesterday I seen them while working, jumped out van and done my work without a slightest care in the world. One of me,three of them too.

This will boil their blood cos they expect I like so many before will be intimidated. Probs expected me to keep driving actually. Its not going to happen and I hope they know that.

Anyway my point is that no one owns nothing. They bought work in good faith that the seller wont take it back, that is all. Beyond that point the customer chooses, otherwise what are we running..a dictatorship?

What you do need to do is be careful IE I've made a few local pal cleaners..back up and a heads up are always appreciated see.

If you canvas you could first ask if they have a cleaner. If they do but don't like him choose either to walk away then or continue your pitch. Totally your call.

Either way,stop buying work and get oot there (i mean this in the nicest way btw)

Thanks for the responses, I think I will keep at what I've got for a few months and get more experience under my belt then try to gain customers over Facebook or something along those lines.

Thanks for the responses, I think I will keep at what I've got for a few months and get more experience under my belt then try to gain customers over Facebook or something along those lines.
That's up to you to decide but after being unemployed for a while I'd be desperate to crack on and get building my round quickly. It won't take long for you to get to the point where you're earning what you're currently earning each week in a day. Start now and by the summer you'll have a nice little round earning you £700+ a week.

My boss has never bought any work in the 4 years he's been doing it. Now has 600+ houses every 4 week and 100+ fortnightly. Get knocking and do a good job. It's that simple and we don't travel anywhere past 5 miles of his house.[emoji1360]

Good luck

@Jake144 if you want to get on in this game Jake you need to get out this mentality allready what does the world owe me? i cant knock doors? I'm on someone else patch? these are all negative thoughts you have to want it so bad you can't sleep at night

Me personally i had a great job bought my own house at 24 (still 24) i worked 7 days a week for a year all day and all night canvassed flat out- still on that- ive dropped countless flyers countless facebook posts told anyone who will listen about my business which enabled me to quit my job and work for myself I want more from this world!!! if i was in your position and had nothing to lose i would get some decent flyers and canvass for work till my feet hurt-

Don't worry about what you are entitled to...get out and knock doors during every bit of spare time you have and you won't need the services of gov direct any moreThat is the way to get busy quick

12-16 hours a week leaves 24-28 hours a week to knock doors before you even do the same hours as a normal job
at 20 years old living at home i would think nothing of a 75 hour week not being harsh been there done it still doing it

That's the wrong attitude to have. If you think like that you won't succeed. If you don't push from the start then you'll never push it'll always be "I'll do it next week". Then you'll get bored and give up. I've been doing this for 20 months, 3/4 full full and taking on another 280 next month, (that'll be a challenge!) I'm 27, 2 kids, new car and own my own home. 2 years ago i was in a shitty council house, no job, banger of a car and skint

So I've been unemployed for a while so I've decided to give window cleaning a go at starting my own, need some advice though.
I've borrowed money to buy my own small round (£120 a week worth) been doing it 3 weeks now and all is well.

I don't have enough money to buy anymore work and won't for a while, I work roughly 12-16 hours a week.

I'm 20 and currently still live with my mum and dad, but I would like to expand my business but don't have money to do so.

Am I entitled to JSA or universal credit or something? I'm only working part time currently and don't want another job I just want to expand.
Jake you need to be out cavassing every spare minute you get as you won't grow your business any other way, there will always be people who think that this is my patch just ignore them and carry on they will get bored after a while I had the same thing the only reason they are like this is the fact of loosing work because their standards are not heigh enough to keep the customers

at 20 years old living at home i would think nothing of a 75 hour week not being harsh been there done it still doing it
20 years old i was in the army and still finding time to clean windows whenever i got chance to go home

(Luckily i was on a reme barracks about 4 miles from my house)

Left at 21 and joined the reserves and built up my own business window cleaning by nothing more than walking to houses and knocking doors whenever i had time to

Didn't take long to have a ton of shops on the Edgware road and a good bit of residential work

20 years old i was in the army and still finding time to clean windows whenever i got chance to go home(Luckily i was on a reme barracks about 4 miles from my house)

Left at 21 and joined the reserves and built up my own business window cleaning by nothing more than walking to houses and knocking doors whenever i had time to

Didn't take long to have a ton of shops on the Edgware road and a good bit of residential work
At 20 I was in the middle east having a jolly old scrap

I'm at that funny age

Too young for the first party in the gulf

Too old for the second and Afghanistan so missed all the fun

this is great advice coming from the lads here.take it all on board ,they have all done it.You have one great advantage of alot of guys starting out and that is you have this forum to help you out every inch of the way!!!! what a winner you canny go wrong.To make £700 a week its hard to believe eh ,you have just started out little experience and being able to make that say 12months.If you totally go for it knock doors forget about spending cash on fancy leaflets, and canvas hard .you will pick up the work.Your coming soon into spring light nights your young lad work your nxts off and you will be living the life making loads of la la.If your going to dream, dream big

20 years old i was in the army and still finding time to clean windows whenever i got chance to go home(Luckily i was on a reme barracks about 4 miles from my house)

yeh davey 20 year old was working 12 hour days ,sundays and still training

Back