Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing in December and the New Year/January

PJ Bullard

Is it worth canvassing at these times? December, everybody is thinking about christmas and new year everyone is broke (or so they say).

Have any of the veterans who've been doing this for donkeys years had success canvassing at this time of year?

Or is anyone planning on canvassing through this time of year?

I don't make a point of canvassing this time of year as I normally have to consolidate and condense the extra work to fit into short winter days.

However....I've been canvassing a couple of small new estates and new home owners in areas I'm already cleaning - plenty of success! Your own negativity can be your worst enemy sometimes.

We canvass all year. Low winter light is awsome, helps them see just how minging the glass is. Gained another 3 yesterday just knockinga couple next to an existing job.

The work is there. Now go get it. /emoticons/smile.png

December is flat out as always but January is great as the time wasters. Who get u for one clean are skint. The ones u get end up valuable customers

Your own negativity can be your worst enemy sometimes
Yeah, agreed. I don't believe you cant pick up work at this time of year. Im still picking up work every week without canvassing (I have website, fb).

Im excited because I've brought one of those AZ road atlas for my area and I'm going to start convassing each square in a specific area, mark it off and keep track of exactly where I've canvassed.

Green's video the other week has given me plenty of new ideas. I'm defo going to put a price list on my new flyer - I think I'll get way more success with it if prices are stated.

Think I will canvass this weekend and start knocking off the squares in my atlas

phone goes dead till end of Feb i just plod on with what ive got then maybe flyer...these 2 months i hate always late payers wasted all there doe on booze and **** pressents

What ive learnt is that theres always an excuse not to canvass.

Too cold, too dark, too late, too early, too sunday, too saturday, ill do it tomorrow, ill do it after cleaning, ill do it on a day with no work, i need to plan it first, etc.

Ive told myself all sorts for a year, and still barely done any.

I think there becomes a point where you have to admit to yourself you are making excuses either get out and do it or pay someone else or find another way to get customers.

see its weird for me, every cleaner i chat to says they pick up in april till oct. where as i seem to get tons of work from nov to march. i think this month just gone ( november ) i landed 13 all up. but i plan to pick up 4 a week what ever week or month of the year it is, thats my target. if i fail one week then that target goes onto the week after and so on. keeps me on my toes.

Hi,

I'm new, I've been building a round in Swindon and using the app to acquire the information I need to help me get the job done (thanks Gav). Green pro clean Ltd, what do you say in your canvassing? Is there a line you follow outside of 'hi, would you be interested in window cleaning?') going by what you have said, today you picked up almost as many customers as I have acquired in 3 months (admittedly I have another job to work around at the moment) that's outstanding work!. I've been reluctant to canvass as I've not been blessed with the gift of the gab and I look like a bit of a bruiser on first inspection haha. I was going to make a thread to introduce myself and say my intentions to start canvassing so I could be held accountable at some point in the future, as this topic came up I thought I'd ask now because I'd written off the idea of getting any new customers till after Christmas.

Thanks for your help,

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I pass this house twice a month, never seen nobody work there jumped out of the van on Tuesday dropped a card in hey presto phone call today new customer £35 a month, like somebody said the customers u pick up in the winter are the best ones, wot I am saying is just get out there and do it because if you don't somebody else will

I pass this house twice a month, never seen nobody work there jumped out of the van on Tuesday dropped a card in hey presto phone call today new customer £35 a month, like somebody said the customers u pick up in the winter are the best ones, wot I am saying is just get out there and do it because if you don't somebody else will
with winter customers you could be getting a doleys customers because he cant take cold hands in winter. so he packs up for winter and goes bk on the dole. lots of those type round here. you can spot them type a mile off working out there estate car with ladders tied on the roof with rope.

I canvass whenever i want an influx if work then cut the chaff and canvass again

Gets a nice compact round then

The customers i get in the cold dark months are the ones who stay as they aren't looking for clean windows just in summer

@ksp as for what to say etc i look like a bit of a dodgy geezer and speak with my common west london accent and it doesn't hold me back

I'm just straight to the point "morning / afternoon fella / sweetheart / luv (whatever comes to me) do you need a window cleaner"

Yes/no job done

Cheers for the reply Dave boy. I got put off when working for my mate. I turned up to a customers house, she took one look at me, waffled something about "oh no you use a pole?" )Regardless of the fact he'd been using it two years) then said she didn't want it done again. Next time we were in the area she saw him whilst I was at the back of another property than asked him to do a full FSG. First impressions don't seem to do me justice haha. Sounds like I'm just going to have to throw myself in to it.

Cheers for the reply Dave boy. I got put off when working for my mate. I turned up to a customers house, she took one look at me, waffled something about "oh no you use a pole?" )Regardless of the fact he'd been using it two years) then said she didn't want it done again. Next time we were in the area she saw him whilst I was at the back of another property than asked him to do a full FSG. First impressions don't seem to do me justice haha. Sounds like I'm just going to have to throw myself in to it.

ill inbox you a trick i use /emoticons/wink.png

I have never given a toss how i look or speak as that is nothing to do with how i do the job

I think a lot of it is confidence related

Over quarter of a century doing this now (since i was still at school) apart from 3 years in the army but still did some for friend etc so i have no doubt in my mind i know what I'm talking about when talking to potential customers etc

Be confident when knocking and it does make a difference ..i think it's how you psychologically come across to them

What ive learnt is that theres always an excuse not to canvass.Too cold, too dark, too late, too early, too sunday, too saturday, ill do it tomorrow, ill do it after cleaning, ill do it on a day with no work, i need to plan it first, etc.

Ive told myself all sorts for a year, and still barely done any.

I think there becomes a point where you have to admit to yourself you are making excuses either get out and do it or pay someone else or find another way to get customers.

Back