Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quoting on new job - Shock!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jago

Last weekend a woman called me and asks for a new quote to clean windows.

I told her I could do that on Weds pm when in that area - all ticketiboo.

On Weds at 1pm on my way to quote she called again and I said I'm 4 mins away!

Turned out she couldn't be there and I had a look around and decided on a price which was high as there was cement all over front windows.

Sent her the price via text and then called her incase could do there and then no reply.

So left no probs etc -

Next day still nothing so text her this:-

Just to mention that this is a first time price.

If regularly done after first time the price is less.

Kind regards

James

She sent back ' I'm still in shock!"

I sent back this...

Haha.

Well you do have cement etc on the Windows and it's a very thorough clean which includes all the frames, sills and glass...

Believe it or not I'm not the most expensive...

Regular intervals I recommend are every 6 - 8 weeks.

Kindest regards

James

She sent back.....

I am not laughing, being in shock feels horrible

So I sent back

Sorry to hear, hope you feel better soon.....

I admit it was a keen price but not that keen so what would you have said?

Everyone's view of what is expensive, ok and good value varies.

A lady stopped me just the other week for a quote on an easy access two bed mid terraced house on a side where I already do another nine properties. Quoted her £10. By the look on her face I thought she wasn't happy. It turned out she was gobsmacked at how low the price was. She was over the moon.

Everyone's view of what is expensive, ok and good value varies. A lady stopped me just the other week for a quote on an easy access two bed mid terraced house on a side where I already do another nine properties. Quoted her £10. By the look on her face I thought she wasn't happy. It turned out she was gobsmacked at how low the price was. She was over the moon.
Ain't that the truth! You'll get one person responding like you asked for their first born, yet their neighbour will make you question if your prices are too low...

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Everyone's view of what is expensive, ok and good value varies.A lady stopped me just the other week for a quote on an easy access two bed mid terraced house on a side where I already do another nine properties. Quoted her £10. By the look on her face I thought she wasn't happy. It turned out she was gobsmacked at how low the price was. She was over the moon.
I totally agree Marko,

People all see things differently.

It was the strange replies not explaining that got me!

Ok so what was the property and the price, the suspense is killing me /emoticons/tongue.png
It's a really difficult property to describe and I didn't take a photo.

It's a detached property that was a big bungalow and they have built it into a big house with extensions and lots of flashy glass at the back.

Like a huge extension just made of glass.

I allowed for 4 hours there but maybe a little less.

Not sure if should say price - don't want to shock you too!!

It's a really difficult property to describe and I didn't take a photo.It's a detached property that was a big bungalow and they have built it into a big house with extensions and lots of flashy glass at the back.

Like a huge extension just made of glass.

I allowed for 4 hours there but maybe a little less.

Not sure if should say price - don't want to shock you too!!
Yeah I can imagine. I don't have any properties like that. Most of mine take less than 15 minutes. However, I do have a number where there's more glass on the conny than the rest of the house

Not overly expensive as am still building and refining my work...£165

Too much?
Not at all.

It's a mornings plus worth of work.

If she's shocked then it's because either she doesn't understand the level of work involved or she's still in the mindset of window cleaners doing work for just a bit of beer money and not proper tradesman.

How long would it take once the initial clean is done?

2 hours?

If so then inform her that once the initial clean is done the price reduces by 50% , that might get her to bite

I've only used this method with one new customers so far but the strike rate is 100%.

Give them the price but double for first clean, done on a monthly basis.

If your still with me after 6 months the 7th month clean is free....bear in mind 90% of my work is between 10 and 20 minutes per house.

How long would it take once the initial clean is done?2 hours?

If so then inform her that once the initial clean is done the price reduces by 50% , that might get her to bite
To be fair I don't think it will take 4 hours but yes once regular under 2 hours.

Obviously I haven't told her how long it will take etc.

Yes I guess a 50% reduction would still work but her communication skills so far haven't made contact simple.

I also gave her neighbour a quote whilst I was there and he said they haven't even moved in due to the building work.

Think I'll leave it for few days as I'm stacked with work for next couple of weeks.

Can't win them all....

That afternoon I quoted on another house £150 but didn't say first time.

The lady said she thought it would be about that and signed up for every 8 weeks..Yippee /emoticons/wink.png

Personally i refuse to clean off cement . The risk of scratches are high and if there were scratches in the first place , they probably blame the cleaner ...

Personally i refuse to clean off cement . The risk of scratches are high and if there were scratches in the first place , they probably blame the cleaner ...
For a minute I thought a Green Guy tried to steal my thread but hey ho! :laugh:

That's a good point thanks David K.

I don't think she is in a hurry to get me there but I'll let you know...

But I think the worst of cement was at the front where a new brick block paving job has been completed...

Anyway I'll keep you posted...

Hehe

For a minute I thought a Green Guy tried to steal my thread but hey ho! :laugh:That's a good point thanks David K.

I don't think she is in a hurry to get me there but I'll let you know...

But I think the worst of cement was at the front where a new brick block paving job has been completed...

Anyway I'll keep you posted...

Hehe
Sorry. Thought it was a conversation about shock. Didnt realize my comments wernt welocme. :oops: Have removed the offending content immediatley. :thumbsup:

Here's a shocker for you. (Shocked me)
I been called in to salvage an imprinted concrete drive. The story is not long after it was laid some conman knocked grannies door and said it needed painting. £2.5K for 140 sqm.

She had it done, they used some kind of vinyl paint in lime green. Slippery as hell.

A year later, another conman knocks the door and says that's no good, you need a masonry paint on that and charges £2.5k for to roll masonry paint in a horrible red on top.

Well with no decent prep the paint is peeling in less than a year, total cowboy job.

So my phone rings and I get asked by the son to go salvage it. So we determine (after a test patch) that the red will power wash off, but the green will need a chemical stripper working in by hand with wire brush and then power washing off. Next stage a couple of coats of quality sealer to restore it to it's former glory before resealing the expansion gaps and jobs done.

So all told the tally will be £1580 for all labour and sealants. 'I will need to check the cost of the stripper and get back to you but that will be an additional charge'

Well here's the shocker. the stripper (B&Q own brand diall) is £14.56 for 2.5L !! and that's coverage for 2.5sqm. SERIOUSLY?

Works out at that ratio we will need 56 bottles of stripper pushing the bill up by over £750!! I was gobsmacked.

Figured I better inform the client and prepare for an earache.

Told the clients son, he says OK talk to mum and let her decide. Talk to mum and she says, 'OK Darren, you come highly recommended so what ever you decide is fine as long as I get longevity and maintenance costs are acceptable'

Told here that once we were done it would need a top up of sealer every 2-3 years at a cost of about £250.

No problem get it booked in she says.

I had totally expected to lose the job over the £700 of strippers needed to remove the paint but blow me down I got the go ahead. Happy days.
Ooops no can do. Not to worry, @daveyboy , be kind and delete the post of mine two above this one. Cheers.

Back