Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lucky to be alive

mark m

A person yesterday was electrocuted and was lucky to be alive because he was using a carbon pole the reason he did not die was he had a reach-it pole which has a poleskin at the end basically rubber end section over the carbon pole I am not a lover of reach-it heavy poles and very expensive but I had a little chat with perry yesterday which was a big deal because I think he is a bit of a **** anyway he is going to make them for all poles so I will let you know when they are out

View attachment 2378

View attachment 2379

What was that numpty chap doing waving a carbon pole about by high voltage cable anyway?o_O

Has anyone got a link so I can read more about the incident please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am not sure there is an article about it but it happened to one of our friends over on the window cleaning page....(facebook page)

Glad the chap is OK and the gloves and neoprene skin worked.

A pole-skin would not be needed on a Gardiner pole as the bottom section of each pole and every extension has an insulated layer. This has been tested over the last few years by two of our clients who allowed their carbon pole to hit a high-voltage line. The poles blew-up and melted but the users each time were fine - neither were wearing gloves.

Personally I would not recommend trying it out (!) as all you need is to have the presence of water down the outside of the pole (such as on a rainy day) and it could be a different story regardless of the material the pole is insulated with.

I'm aware of deaths in the other countries whereby window cleaners using wfp's touch power lines and think it's only a matter of time that someone in the UK sadly gets killed too.

Glad the chap is OK and the gloves and neoprene skin worked.
A pole-skin would not be needed on a Gardiner pole as the bottom section of each pole and every extension has an insulated layer. This has been tested over the last few years by two of our clients who allowed their carbon pole to hit a high-voltage line. The poles blew-up and melted but the users each time were fine - neither were wearing gloves.

Personally I would not recommend trying it out (!) as all you need is to have the presence of water down the outside of the pole (such as on a rainy day) and it could be a different story regardless of the material the pole is insulated with.

I never new that Alex I thought because it was a carbon pole it was a electrical conductor more reach it toilet then I wonder why I listen sometimes I thought the doughnut had a good idea:mad:

Lmao who the hell is crazy enough to do that test for u alex?! How much did u have to pay them
/emoticons/smile.png

I did not ask anyone to do this - it happened during standard window cleaning to two of our clients on completely separate occasions about 6 months apart. They were walking around with an SLX pole extended and went across high-voltage power lines!

One of the guys is a friend who lives fairly local to me. The top of the carbon pole basically exploded outwards from the force and the brush fell off in a burning mess. He was completely unharmed and only realised what had happened when he looked up. He tells the story with great relish now although at the time he was not so pleased with himself.

(BTW my wife thinks your avatar is really cute)

alex you should push that story!!! gd selling point for your poles

how many times are you caught hitting bt cables

its not as if you can use cat & jenny

That's the thing duncs how many know the difference from say a telephone cable that will not kill you to a house overhead power cable that can if unlucky enough to get a belt from it. Apart from the obvious high voltage pylon cables that will defo fry anyone that is stupid unfortunate enough to ground it with a wfp pole. You don't have to touch one either as if close enough as high volatage cables are uninsulated can flash over to a pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back