Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question about water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Synthetica

Hi all,

A quick question about water, sorry if it seems stupid.

I've been reading around the site and have read up on RO and DI water filtering systems.

Do these systems relate only to the water that's being fed into a WFP system? Or should filtrated water also be used when going trad?

I 'think' I'm going to answer my own question here but would I be correct in assuming that when cleaning trad you are wiping the water off the windows, so the water doesn't need to be filtered.

Whereas when using a WFP system you leave the windows wet, so once that water has run off the windows/evaporated, any particles left in the water will be left behind on the window?

Also, realistically say I was doing 4 houses a day (lets say 4 windows front, 4 back and patio doors), how much water trad would I need to cover that day?

I'm thinking of starting up a trad window cleaning business for my local area at the weekends and unfortunately don't drive, so all gear, water and ladders I'll be carrying manually.

Thanks

For 4 houses you won't use much water at all, I can usually do 4 houses with only re wetting my applicator once, also you don't need pure water for trad, just a bucket of water with a bit of either washing up liquid or other detergent, (this has been covered extensively on other threads in the past) but personally I find if the windows are very dirty or covered in bird poo warm or hot water is better, just bear in mind that the water will dry off the windows quicker. Also make sure you get a decent set of tools to start with, it'll make the job a lot easier (again covered on other threads)

Also 4 houses a day won't take long, once your up to speed you could be doing that in under an hour, depending on location, size and access.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 4 houses you won't use much water at all, I can usually do 4 houses with only re wetting my applicator once, also you don't need pure water for trad, just a bucket of water with a bit of either washing up liquid or other detergent, (this has been covered extensively on other threads in the past) but personally I find if the windows are very dirty or covered in bird poo warm or hot water is better, just bear in mind that the water will dry off the windows quicker. Also make sure you get a decent set of tools to start with, it'll make the job a lot easier (again covered on other threads)
Thanks for the reply, it sounds more than possible for me to start my weekend job as a window cleaner on foot if I go trad and not wfp /emoticons/biggrin.png

rainwater is very good for trad,soap mixes into it perfectly nice n creamy -feels great on the hands and good glide

Thanks for the reply, it sounds more than possible for me to start my weekend job as a window cleaner on foot if I go trad and not wfp /emoticons/biggrin.png
Best bit of advice is have a good dig around on here and pick up as much as you can, and if you want advice ask, there's no such thing as a stupid question if it is something your unsure about

carry loads of spare washing up liquid bottles filled with your choice of liquid.this will enable you to be really mobile on your round.if you do use a container make sure its got a lid-to stop your water sloshing everywhere.you could also make a little tote cart to help you out.try and master a wagtail and get safety feet on your ladders

You get A top tip on the way, dont underbid other cleaners /emoticons/wink.png

Welcome to the site, hope your business Goes well

I'm thinking of getting an A-Frame, not too bulky, can carry that easily and I should be able to reach pretty much everything I'd need to I think...

you can prop your ladder up at an angle and still clean high bottom windows from the ladder.A ladders can be expensive,we use alloy steps from wilko,and there cheaper.while you are there don't get scrims,they sell blue window cleaning cloths a £3.00,we use them for trad work

you can prop your ladder up at an angle and still clean high bottom windows from the ladder.A ladders can be expensive,we use alloy steps from wilko,and there cheaper.while you are there don't get scrims,they sell blue window cleaning cloths a £3.00,we use them for trad work
Ok, so going for a 'traditional' ladder, what size is a good starting point?

go for lyte ladders.others may disagree,dont go to homebase or bnq unless im missing something.midlands ladders come to mind.the lighter the better for you,thats what you want,buy online,11 rung!!!

Back