Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Running Heaters Off A Battery

Podrikk007

Hi. How long would I get out of a 60ah leisure battery if I was running a 240 watt heater through a240v inverter. . It will probably be on for 12 hours. How much power would I use in those 12 hours? And how much of the battery charge would I have used. This one is really bugging me, hope someone can help

with the tube heaters well the 120watts or less ones. as a rough guide a 110ah would run one for about 2 days.

so a 60ah would get about 1 day out of it, maybe a little less. but you would have to make sure its fully charged for the next time you plug the heater in other wise you will soon find that the battery wont have enough power to run much!

kilowatthours = (amphours * voltage) / 1000

(60*12)/1000 = 0.72

So 60Ah in a 12v battery = 0.72Kwh

0.72Kwh will run a 240w heater for 3 hours (0.72/0.24=3)

That's the theory - - in reality a 60ah battery will not give 100% of its rated power, especially in such a quick discharge. You'd be lucky to get 60%.

Also, the inverter will not run at 100% efficiency,. I'd not expect you to get more that 75% efficiency at best.

So really, you'd be lucky to get 1.5 hours of heat from a 60Ah battery,...

Online calculator here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/forum/forum_1051997447.htm

- - in reality a 60ah battery will not give 100% of its rated power, especially in such a quick discharge. You'd be lucky to get 60%.

Lucky to get 60%!!!! Maybe true of years of past, and yes, you can still buy 'mickey mouse' batteries with old technology .

European Directive says batteries must now do what they say they can do. Lucus and other respected brands will sell these newer batteries.....

Also, the inverter will not run at 100% efficiency,. I'd not expect you to get more that 75% efficiency at best.

75% at best!!!!...... That maybe-so for cheap Chinese inverters.

I got one of these....90% efficiency
/emoticons/smile.png .

http://www.ringautom...l.asp?prod=2062

Try it - test it - time it & tell me!

The batteries are not designed for quick discharge - so not performing to their full AH rating would not contravene european directive as you're using them for a purpose other than intended.

Regardless of the math, running heaters off batteries isn't very effective. A 240w heater will not be enough if the weather gets much below 0C - I've had my van freeze with a 2kw fan heater in it!

Back