Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

sills getting scratched

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Fish4fun

Hi guys,I was cleaning a house and a customer said she had to get all her sills replaced as they were all scratched with the brush .

Miller homes said the window cleaners that use waterfed pole are damaging window sills.

Anyone else had any problems..

it sounds like a load of bull to make her get her window sills replaced. miller homes have lied to the women to get her to 1. sack you and 2. get her sills changed

make sure you dont rub the brush head sides on the sill. this can cause scratches. use bristles only , its easier to do the bottom sills as you dont have any awkward angles.

On the rare occasion where I have found marks that appear to be from my brush head they have cleaned off with a magic eraser or cream cleaner easily. Scratch marks that can't be cleaned off this way can only have been caused by grit. Either your brush head was seriously contaminated with grit or someone's trying to pull a fast one is the way it looks to me

At a guess some cleaner has gouged the sills takin concrete or render off on the build clean....any1 near the glass or frames blame window cleaners for damage...we a scapegoat n we aint there to argue

Yes I've had a couple of complaints on this before I realised it was my fault.

Be carefull or use a sill brush.

I polished them out with car polish

Changing sills seems to be extreme and unnecessary. The majority of scratches from plastic can be removed. I worked for a plumbing merchant for a while. I removed a scratch from a new plastic bath for a customer with a very fine abrasive followed by a double action polishing machine with Farecla G3 paste (I used to do car valeting that's why I had the gear). The scratch was completely removed and the gloss was excellent - the same as on the rest of the bath.

As window sills would not need the same gloss finish as a bath, I would say that some 1500 grit or 2000 grit sandpaper followed up with farecla G3 by hand would suffice.

I've noticed on certain estates I clean that my brush can leave black marks on the sills. On other estates it doesn't happen. Must be something to do with the plastic in the sill? I've also noticed tiger stripes on the bottom of certain plastic frames too.

Changing sills seems to be extreme and unnecessary. The majority of scratches from plastic can be removed. I worked for a plumbing merchant for a while. I removed a scratch from a new plastic bath for a customer with a very fine abrasive followed by a double action polishing machine with Farecla G3 paste (I used to do car valeting that's why I had the gear). The scratch was completely removed and the gloss was excellent - the same as on the rest of the bath. As window sills would not need the same gloss finish as a bath, I would say that some 1500 grit or 2000 grit sandpaper followed up with farecla G3 by hand would suffice.
Thank for your reply,never heard of farcela G3.

You also need to inspect the scratches on the sill very carefully. If they run the full length of the sill and they are all parallel to each other then this will be done when the sill was extruded during the manufacturing process.

You also need to inspect the scratches on the sill very carefully. If they run the full length of the sill and they are all parallel to each other then this will be done when the sill was extruded during the manufacturing process.
Very true spruce. I used to work in the double glazing industry and another problem was when the sills were unloaded of the lorry.

Someone would grab one end and slide it along on top of the other sill it was sitting on until it was about to drop off the end of the lorry where a second person would grab the other end.

Once in the factory, the plastic protection was removed to reveal a perfectly straight scratch the whole length of the sill

TBH especially on upstairs sills the sheer amount of pressure you would need to apply to put a gouge in a sill is ludicrous.

Manufacturer, builders or builders cleaners are the usual suspects.

'Marking' not scratching a sill is plenty easy. Quick rub with Magic sponge, rub out or bar keepers friend will soon sort it out.

My biggest lack of comprehension is why you are not the ones noticing the damages to your customers property ans pointing it out before you work on it or do you just not bother about looking at the job in front of you? :confused:

We will be, blamed for these Tiger stripes soon
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Had this with a customer last year.

A few years back the local Council fitted new windows and cladding to all it's properties on a row of houses that I clean. Last year one customer says I'm making her cladding go black (Tiger stripes) and it did look pretty bad. This is an area maybe 20'x8' and the whole lot is like it. However, two houses along, an identical house was fitted at exactly the same time by the same company and they are not even close to being as dirty. Both these houses are in the middle of a long terrace so I don't know what the reason is for this. However, when I pointed this anomaly out she seemed to realize that it can't have been caused solely by the wfp and stopped complaining about it.

Back