Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with equipment fo soft wash

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Its my view that if you haven't got the work coming in yet then whats the point of over spending on equipment when you can start with more basic equipment and build from their .

I would like to point out a couple of things.

Not a service to be offered lightly. Hazardus chemicals to both you and the emvironment. Also to be prepared for all softwashing situations you need a variety of set ups. (At least two)

If you are going the roof clean route the risk increases expenentially. Not to be done with the attitude of 'Oh I'll just walk up there with a watering can'

Really for all chemical spraying you should seek professional advice and training, youtube is great but you dont get to see what to do when it goes wrong.

Check your insurance covers this before you begin.

However done right it is a very lucrative business.

The machine used in both these videos is for sale it you want something that will cover most aspects of a good clean.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDQpbJjRoq4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yvg047ouLc[/media]

Great that you jumped in on this topic Green Pro , I think some lads including myself can easily get starry eyed at the apparent simplicity and earning potential of Softwashing as a add on service .

In the cold light of day I intend to do what I have always done with something new and spend weeks researching this thoroughly and slowly process all the info available but also use my own patio and garden paths and garden fence as a testing place/case study .

I don't want to damage my lawn or any plants , So is it possible to buy a small amount of a safe solution to help me decide whether this really is a potential longterm add on service . Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a service to be offered lightly. Hazardus chemicals to both you and the emvironment. Also to be prepared for all softwashing situations you need a variety of set ups. (At least two)

If you are going the roof clean route the risk increases expenentially. Not to be done with the attitude of 'Oh I'll just walk up there with a watering can'

Really for all chemical spraying you should seek professional advice and training, youtube is great but you dont get to see what to do when it goes wrong.

The machine used in both these videos is for sale it you want something that will cover most aspects of a good clean.

Top quality job on the roof the softwash really made light work of all the grime .

Thanks @Iron Giant. The chems themselves are so cheap that you're not going to be hurting by ordering some Hypo and Biocide to try out. Just make sure you NEVER mix the two.

As for test patching, always. Test the hell out of everything. Even customers.

I once told a customer her decking could do with a clean, she said it looked sound to her, i did a small test patch for her and she said 'that's so embarassing please do the lot as soon as you can'

I get what you say about the stary eyed side of it and the rewards can be great but this is one area where if you go 'cowboy' on it you're going to come unstuck.

There are a small group of companies running 'training' on this ar present and they are all pretty much just trying to sell you their chemicals. They are busy slagging each other off and not really helping the UK industry move forward.

There's no real experts or authority on the topic here in the UK yet as this is a really new business here. When I came home from the USA in 2007 I was asking the suppliers what the knew of softwashing, the standard answer then was 'eeeeerrrrrmmmmm wahhhhhhh? You need a power washer' now they all talk as if they were born to it.

It's up to you to sort the good info and practices from the bad and only you can assess what's right and wrong for each job.

I have seen several images and vids of lads going all Gungho on this and it os worrying. On the other side there is a very smal group (5 of us so far) that take this seriously (predominantly the safety aspect) and seek out the best training and gear to do the job right.

Last training course we did was rope access fall arrest. Nothing to do with chemicals, nothing to do with what sprayers to buy. Solely to do with making sure we had the knowledge to come home in one piece. The course inc VAT over 2 days was £432. The hotel was £110 (I stayed 2 nights) The diesel there and back wss £80. The harness and equipment I purchased was about £550 i think.

Now before some kick of with the 'allright for those with the money' blah blah blah..... it has sod all to do with that it has to do with when it goes wrong, which it will at some point, and those boots give out from under you, the only thing broken is your pride and not your neck.

I know I am waffling on bit lads but at the end of the day you can't take your safety seriously enough. Sure it's tempting to look at a roof and think I will just cowboy that for an easy £1200 butt is it not better to know when the risks are too high and walk away? Well no need to walk away if you got a bit of training and the right gear for the job.

20170131_140703.jpg

Here's Mike from last weeks course doing his descender drill.

This whole training session was paid off on just one roof job.

Is that too much to pay?

Would you be able to share where you got your spray gun from please Green ? Thanks

I think this is a great idea green ,your training programme .Your totally right about the safety aspect.I"m sure the soft wash would be great to get into,I,ve mentioned this to many guys and they have never heard of it

Latest Posts

Back