Pricing issues

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Right iv read loads about this on here and the net

I know every area is different and some people work it out different ways

I aint into pricing up per window as people in my area just dont pay this. as doing it like that at even a £1 a window even i think its expensive

what sort of hourly pay do u boys get on domestic work just your normal 2-3 bed houses ?

anyone got and neat ideas i could use ?

any help would be great
  2. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

£1 per window is a perfectly fair price to expect, why do you think it is expensive?. For keeping things easy for yourself while starting up, pricing per window would seem like a good idea to me. When i started, as i had bought part of an existing round, i simply looked at the existing prices and used them as a basis for quotes. This wasnt that easy though, as the guy had some weird pricing, where 1 house round the corner from another, might be £3 dearer, despite being an identical house!. I'm starting to get on top of it now though, and have adjusted most of the 'discrepancies' to keep everything fair.
    As for hourly wage, that is highly dependant on what you are charging per house, how close together your work is, and how hard you are working!. For me, an average 2-3 bed semi will be about £12 and i can do 3.5-4 of them in an hour. But my round is very spread out, with lots of different styles and sizes of houses in different villages meaning my hourly 'pay' can vary wildly, especially when travelling time and expenses are taken into account.
  3. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

I do £8 for 2 bed, £10 for 3 beds and £12 for 4 beds........stick a fiver on for a conservatory. But in an earlier post (a few months ago) some Windies up north were saying they were lucky to get a fiver for a 3 bed so it's all dependant on where you are
  4. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ya well i live in a counsel estate with a few new builds around me which i will be targeting asap

say u got a end terraced 3 bed house with 13-14 normal windows and around 19-20 smaller windows above £14 for this house people just wont pay that to have the windows cleaned when u got boys in the summer doing them for £5 i know this is crazy

anyway id prob charge around £10 for this house in my area and a terraced house £8 as i could do 3-4 in a hr which is still around £30 a hr on avrage if thay within a steet or 2 of each other.
  5. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

13-14 and 19-20 windows?, thats a helluva lot of windows!, i live in a 2 bed flat which has 6 windows. Are you counting each pane as a window?. When i said £1 per window, i meant the window as a whole, and not per pane. Obviously patio doors and conservatories would be more though.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ah right when u said window its 4 pains of class in the big frame u count as 1 right lol me bad

ya 19-20 smaller 1s above the big 1s i was on about lol

i'm with you now ya so i am pricing them right really as it would have 8big window frames lol in the house plus the doors.

Time to build my round now :] thanks busman
  7. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Yea price can depend a lot on where u are. I used to live in midlands where ur average 3 bed semi would be 8-10quid, I'm now near glasgow & a fiver seems to be the norm! Sometimes get a bit more. So massive difference.

One thing that works well tho is think how long will it take, how much do you want per hr (within reason) & there's ur price.

E.g this house will take 15 mins, I want £30 p/h, so the charge is £30 / 4 = £7.50.
  8. chip

chip Guru

Jan 16, 2012
    yep, between 7 and 12 quid, depends on where it is, the layout and how i'm feeling at the time :D
  9. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    Put your personal feeling aside about the cost of window cleaning, I couldn’t afford my own rates if I was to have me as my window cleaner! (Unfortunately I have to do it for free)

Your prices are relevant to your business only, take into consideration your customers and what they will pay for you’re service and the keep the compe***ion in mind.

To find your price – look at how many hours you expect to get paid for window cleaning in a year; then set your own hourly rate.

Ask yourself how many customers you expect to clean per hour. Then divide the hourly rate by the amount, this might be your minimum price for example or your going rate or your average; it depends on what you are doing.

It a big question and it can’t be answered in a sound bite, what will spur you on is as you get better at pricing, the more net profit you will earn.

Good luck
  10. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Thanks for all the adivce guys

iv been working hard for £50 a day most of my life so if i earn half of what some of you guys earn in a day id be a very happy man

love this forum :]