Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bad anti freeze

WCF

Help Support WCF:

WinWiz

Is there such a thing as bad anti-freeze?

I need to buy some anti-freeze for my diesel heating system installed by Pure Freedom. It's a Webasto.

Someone once told me you get pink anti-freeze and you get blue anti-freeze. And you don't want to mix the two.

Is that true?

Will any anti-freeze do?

They shouldn't be mixed. If you open the filler cap you should be able to see what colour the liquid is inside. You might even just get a length of pipe, like a straw, stick it into the coolant, put you finger across the hole at the top and take a sample out. I expect it will be blue as that appears to be the most popular choice.

i bleve the pink stuff ,methanol, hasnt been on sale for quite a few years now in the UK ,at least 10yrs

They shouldn't be mixed. If you open the filler cap you should be able to see what colour the liquid is inside. You might even just get a length of pipe, like a straw, stick it into the coolant, put you finger across the hole at the top and take a sample out. I expect it will be blue as that appears to be the most popular choice.
Thanks, will have to ask someone else to give me a hand then. Colourblind! :confused:

i bleve the pink stuff ,methanol, hasnt been on sale for quite a few years now in the UK ,at least 10yrs
I've resurrected this as I was in our local Motor Factors a couple of days ago, before Xmas. Whilst I was being served a customer from a garage next door came in with a 5 litre glass container, went through to the back, and came back a few moments later with his container full of pink anti freeze.

Apparently the pink stuff has always been available - in fact this Motor factors has a 44 gallon drum full of the stuff and sells it to those who want it and who bring their own containers. Must cheaper than the blue stuff sold from the display in the front of the shop.

dont no any thing about the colours but i no you can get corrosive and non corrosive antifreeze iv put non corrosive in the pump on my petrol pressure washer as per opperating instructions

I've resurrected this as I was in our local Motor Factors a couple of days ago, before Xmas. Whilst I was being served a customer from a garage next door came in with a 5 litre glass container, went through to the back, and came back a few moments later with his container full of pink anti freeze.
Apparently the pink stuff has always been available - in fact this Motor factors has a 44 gallon drum full of the stuff and sells it to those who want it and who bring their own containers. Must cheaper than the blue stuff sold from the display in the front of the shop.
thats interesting- because the methanol doesnt leave smears on the glass, but the blue does

I don't leave my washers outside so I just make sure they are drained down including the lances, spinners, hoses etc and protected from frost in the garage/van with a winter rated bed quilts if need be.

What washer have you got that you need to put antifreeze in the pump?

dont no any thing about the colours but i no you can get corrosive and non corrosive antifreeze iv put non corrosive in the pump on my petrol pressure washer as per opperating instructions

thats interesting- because the methanol doesnt leave smears on the glass, but the blue does
I don't know why, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of adding antifreeze to the water that I'm using to clean the windows. That seems counter-intuitive.

But the blue stuff seems to be working just fine in my diesel water heating pump coolant /emoticons/smile.png

Left it overnight to heat up my water ready for 8am. Considering it was -5, it was remarkably painless to go and work /emoticons/smile.png

Latest Posts

Back