Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Breaking pole sections

Guybrush

Snapped a pole section this morning cost me nearly 100 quid. Second one this year already

Really need two poles on the van or to look after them better

How often do you guys snap a section if at all?

3x in ten years. 2 totally clapped out fibreglass poles years ago and an SLX 18 last year trying to turn on a stuck Gooseneck valve at full extension. That was a bit of a bummer as the pole had loads of life left in it. I should have retracted the pole to unstick it by hand but didn't. Still got it but haven't yet repaired it as I replaced it with an Xtreme 22 v3. I always keep a spare pole on board so it didn't cost me any lost time that day and I was on the verge of buying the Xtreme 22 anyway as I was needing a little more reach but didn't want the extra weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you cleaning the poles out weekly marko? I do it every now and then and have snapped three sections in the last year on an extreme x3 compared to your 10 years :confused:

No. I go very much by feel. If my poles starts to feel gritty in the least I'll clean them. But I find for the most part they seldom do. I carry a small rag at most times and wipe the pole hose if I feel it needs it. The xtreme is still young so time will tell how robust it proves to be.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I've snapped 2 sections on an SL-X22 in the last month. A third section is about to go! The carbon has frayed to nothing on all the worn sections. I managed to bodge a pole using sections off an old pole. The knackered pole is used for S/F/G until it breaks again. One section decided to snap while the pole was behind a Juliette balcony. That was fun trying to fish it back out from behind the bars :confused:

We must be scrubbing too hard
Hello @Guybrush long time no see. Don't know what I'm doing right, but in 9-10 years Wfp, I've never snapped a section.

Every couple of days I open the clamps and pour water down the pole(bottom end so the water pours out the brush end). I feel this really helps when the ground is wet as the pole hose picks up lots of dirt.

Either that's the reason or god shines on us gingers :thumbsup:

Hello Steve

I've been lurking so long I should have called myself gollum not guybrush

That's impressiveI'll start doing that with the pole need to make it a habit

Otherwise It'll be like triggers old broom with 20 new handles and 15 different brush heads

Snapped 3 sections of an slx30 last year due to carbon wearing down. Have 2 slx in van so if one snaps, order new section from Gardiner straight away and continue working with other slx27

Yes I have snapped 2 sections on my V2 Xtreme, Had 1 section replaced with V3 Xtreme section the wear rate is ridiculous and I replaced the other section with a slx section so I clean mine every week and laquer each section every 2 weeks or so .

I clean pole hose on a o.c.d basis its wiped before I start a house and wiped every time before i extend my pole.

Back