Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Painters passing the buck?

Tuffers

Three times recently I've had painters telling my customers that WFP is ruining their woodwork. One said that the pressure from the jets would get behind the beading and another said that it would ruin the wood. I said to the one customer that WTF does the painter know about pure water fed cleaning and what pressure does he think I'm using. The prat thinks I'm pressure washing the windows or something :rolleyes:. Another one last week said the customer was stopping the WFP cleaning as the water was getting into the frames. Now this is a very big house that I've done for years. Even if I wanted to trad it I couldn't as they have wooden decking all across the back and no way could you put ladders on it. Anyway, I said to the painter, what happens when it rains then, does the frame get wet? Er yeah I suppose so he said. Well tell Mr X that I won't be cleaning his windows trad and he will do well to find a window cleaner who will.

I'm getting a tad peed off with painters sh1t stirring lately. Are they just covering their backs for their shoddy workmanship I wonder?

yep painters an windys dont mix ha i have a custmer they had walls painted an splashed glass they scraped it off but scrached every window i turned up an saw them frm the road so i rang door bell an showed the custmer he was a old guy he said ok thanks for leting me no i was just covering my self u no a few months later he died then a wile later dauter came down to stay an saw the scraches of coarse she blamed me:rolleyes: so i had to explane wat i told her dead dad lucky she beleved me lucky escape:eek:

the first clean on my contract work took half the time again just to get em clean of paint dots....i hope i dont turn up one day and the painters have been...grrrrrr

you get ****** of with painters leaving there **** on the windows just expecting us to scrape it of
i charge extra to clean lots of paint off i explane this to custmer if i find out they geting house painted /emoticons/biggrin.png then after they finish the paint seems to spontaineusly combust:D:cool:

9 out of 10 paint jobs I come across are ****! Makes me laugh when I see spiders nests in corners painted over!:rolleyes:

It's a convenient diversion for the painters from **** paint & even crapper (if that's a word) workmanship!

Tuffers - that is odd, I was speaking to a guy whom uses WFP yesterday, I am going to right about it in anothe post after this. He said the same thing just yesterday. I was out and went up to him and said I am starting a window round and not in this area, (he was happy then) lol. Anyway, he said watch out for painters, they leave loads of paint on the windows, its a bummer to get off. I wondered does WFP get it off? He said though that painters are speaking to there clients after finishing job and saying dont use WFP cleaning, the amount fo water left is not good with chemicals in it, then he said some are telling them also in the winter the water will fall and you will slip as it freezes on the floor.....He said the same thing, its as if they are trying to get at window cleaners.

I find it very odd why one trade slags anothee off, oh and he lost some jobs over it as thats ho he found out, his custys stopped using him and he knows some one whom does trad and they have the some of the jobs now.

We had a painter and my god the windows were left covered. also drips on the house of paint too, idiots!

Its water at a slowish rate, its not a pressure gun ffs. Mind you after using the WFP it made me think about my trad pole work and my neck aches using the WFP for one house, looking up. I suppose thas the dra back or me not having the right tech.

Tuffers - that is odd, I was speaking to a guy whom uses WFP yesterday, I am going to right about it in anothe post after this. He said the same thing just yesterday. I was out and went up to him and said I am starting a window round and not in this area, (he was happy then) lol. Anyway, he said watch out for painters, they leave loads of paint on the windows, its a bummer to get off. I wondered does WFP get it off? He said though that painters are speaking to there clients after finishing job and saying dont use WFP cleaning, the amount fo water left is not good with chemicals in it, then he said some are telling them also in the winter the water will fall and you will slip as it freezes on the floor.....He said the same thing, its as if they are trying to get at window cleaners.
I find it very odd why one trade slags anothee off, oh and he lost some jobs over it as thats ho he found out, his custys stopped using him and he knows some one whom does trad and they have the some of the jobs now.

We had a painter and my god the windows were left covered. also drips on the house of paint too, idiots!

Its water at a slowish rate, its not a pressure gun ffs. Mind you after using the WFP it made me think about my trad pole work and my neck aches using the WFP for one house, looking up. I suppose thas the dra back or me not having the right tech.
Yeah, the last painter said the customer was stopping the WFP due to the chemicals in the water. I wonder who told him there are chemicals in the water :rolleyes:, anyway, I turned round to the painter and said actually, there are no chemicals in the water whatsoever and it's purer than snow. Oh err err he said. I then said, tell Mr so and so that I won't be his window cleaner for much longer if he don't want the pole used. I'm back home early due to the fact that the painters are still on the same job, 3 weeks on!

The problem is modern georgian style windows that have the wooden bars (astragals) stuck on with sticky foam strips. Obviously, the foam strip absorbs water (of any kind, i.e. rain also) and so remains damp for prolonged periods thus eventually affecting the wood & paint. A traditional putty system, done properly would be sealed by the paint. The paint would overlap the putty & go onto the glass by approx 1 to 2mm, sealing the wood & protecting it from moisture ingress. The modern windows don't do this, there is a small gap between the astragal & the glass created by the sticky foam behind the astragal & thus no moisture seal- infact the opposite & a dead sure road to premature failure of the paint as it's also being affected by moisture from the inside of the wood too.

Back