Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

This Winter!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

My main reason for not working it is the customers famous quote 'your not cleaning windows the day are you?'

I get a lot of 'you're not cleaning windows in this?' Can soon catch up there's 7 days in a week. Some windys are critical of my 'no work in rain' policy but they're are normally the 'I'm not working weekends' brigade, I'd rather do my shopping when everyone else is at work.

I try to work in rain as I can't work Saturdays due to family commitments and Sunday, well how do people feel about you cleaning their windows on a Sunday? Doesn't seem right to me. I know Sundays any what they used to be but they still are a day off for most people to spend with theor family's or hobbies do they really want a window cleaner turning up?.

That said this winter is beyond rediculous can't get anything done. Really need to canvass but can't get round what I've got atm. Roll on summer eh if we get one

The days of 'family' Sundays are long gone sadly, the Government are shortly to allow all day opening of shops. I don't normally work Sundays but I have done in fact I've got some customers who would welcome it! If I do work them I always seek the customers permission first, I've never been turned away.

I get a lot of 'you're not cleaning windows in this?' Can soon catch up there's 7 days in a week. Some windys are critical of my 'no work in rain' policy but they're are normally the 'I'm not working weekends' brigade, I'd rather do my shopping when everyone else is at work.
So what happens when then it rains at the weekend?..i did a first clean in the rain earlier and it is perfect

You need to tell customers you work in the rain but if there are any problems with their windows once cleaned to call you and you'll pop back and sort it

End of the day they want clean windows..you clean windows..not a problem

You don't dictate to any other tradesmen what conditions they can do their job in

You could clean them in the dry and then it rains later on

Same thing

I try to work in rain as I can't work Saturdays due to family commitments and Sunday, well how do people feel about you cleaning their windows on a Sunday? Doesn't seem right to me. I know Sundays any what they used to be but they still are a day off for most people to spend with theor family's or hobbies do they really want a window cleaner turning up?.
That said this winter is beyond rediculous can't get anything done. Really need to canvass but can't get round what I've got atm. Roll on summer eh if we get one
This winter has been lovely

A couple of days where the pure could have frozen and that's it

So what if we have a little wind and rain..could be like a proper winter with sleet and snow etc and never getting out to work

You need to make the most of it while it's mild

It's just rain and wind all the time I won't work in it, don't like getting wet and don't like wet equipment.
It all depends if you want to pay your bills or not

If you have too much time off with bad weather how will you catch up the money you have lost?

1 day off a week due to weather can add up to £10,400 a year based on a 52 week year

Take off 4x200 quid for 4 weeks off for holiday makes that £9,600 a year short

6 months good weather with spring and summer £4,800 loss in a year with 1 day off a week in the winter and autumn etc

I'm not prepared to lose that much

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree @daveyboy1 i think its been horrible, i would much rather work in the cold than wind and rain any day. I think not only does the wind and rain have potential problems with cleaning, most custies dont like it and its uncomfortable and depressing to work in. Everything gets wet through including your socks and shite all over hoses and van.

Now i will work in it until it gets bad and try to educate the customers but its been far from lovely, like i said ill take a cold crisp sunny winters day anyday.

Snow and sleet is a different matter but its a rarity anyway.

It may be that I've done it for so long i am just used to it

It's been pleasant this winter compared to a lot i have worked

I havey fleece lined riggers on and decent jacket and lovely and warm..it's actually over 10° here today so wrap up and it's fine

No mate

10,400 is 52x200 quid for a day off everyweek

Take off 4x200 quid for 4 weeks holiday and that is 9,600 you would be short in a year

I am praying for cold weather wouldn't that be lovely, cold crisp sunny winter days of old? I don't feel comfortable cleaning customers windows in rain no matter what the results. I have a schedule that works, I do rounds according to weeks of the month for example one round is done on the first Thursday of the month, another round is done on the third Friday of the month and so on........... If I am late say the weather is rubbish on the first Thursday of the month round I'll go the next day or even the day after that if it's bad Friday, then next month it revers back to the first Thursday, this experiment has worked so far all winter even with all the rain plus when I call access issue customers the night before or to arrange payment most of the customers are expecting me it' worked a treat much better than weekly cycles.

Nah..i was adding up 200 quid a week x 52 weeks for 1 day off a week due to weather

If you had 4 weeks holiday you would lose that 200 a week anyway so i was taking that off the figure of the loss you would have losing a day a week

I probably didn't explain it well

Amazing how it can add up having the odd day off here and there..obviously no one would have a day off every week due to weather but you can still lose a fair bit in a year as the work just gets delayed by a few days every month..not long before it adds up to a lost week or so in wages

I think it depends on what part of the country you're from. Winter is totally different all over the country. Me and Daveyboy and others around our way have had it bloody good this winter. Today is the first day in as long as I can remember that I've almost given up. I ended up sat in the van for a while but then cracked on again and got 95% of what I'd planned to do done. I really feel sorry for some of the guys on here. Weeks and weeks of rain must really get you down.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think it depends on what part of the country you're from. Winter is totally different all over the country. Me and Daveyboy and others around our way have had it bloody good this winter. Today is the first day in as long as I can remember that I've almost given up. I ended up sat in the van for a while but then cracked on again and got 95% of what I'd planned to do done. I really feel sorry for some of the guys on here. Weeks and weeks of rain must really get you down.

I agree mate. It's usually ok here in norfolk. Always get it all done. Poor lads up North must struggle

I agree mate. It's usually ok here in norfolk. Always get it all done. Poor lads up North must struggle
I almost feel bad moaning about the weather when I see how bad others have it. I can't remember the last time we had weather that was bad enough to have to stop working. I have the odd day here or there where I think sod it, I'll catch up tomorrow but even then it's not that bad.

Latest Posts

Back