Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

From start to finish

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joshua D

Your going to hate me. I've looked through the forum and there is nothing that heps me.

I'm a traditional window cleaner but I would like wfp to do them odd windows that are to high or over a con roof etc.

I'm buying a transit van and would like a tank in my van with the filters ect in there to purify the water and to have a smaller tank pump ect on a trolley I'm looking do it as cheap as possible until I can afford to upgrade.

I would like to know everything I need with specifications as I've never used this system.

Tank filters leisure batteries hoses size hoses pumps ect I have a bit of an idea I'm just not 100%

Hi There, It depends how big you want to go.

If you are a 1 man band i would recommend a 400-500L Tank. Shurflo 100psi pump and a varistream controller.

Depending on you TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) you will need either RO or DI.

If you are using RO you can either fit it in the van and leave the van connected to water supply all night or have a static tank and then pump the purified water to the van.

You would have RO - Pre Filters and a Di

For a Di you just have a Di Vessel.

You need a metal hose reel with 100m of 8mm microbrore and a 22-25 foot pole, that will get most windows on 1-2 floor gardener clx22. Most people also have a larger pole for 3-4 stories. Gardiner slx39

You want a 100ah+ leisure batters and you will need some 1/2 garden hose.

You need to buy a TDS meter to test your water first.

If you just want WFP for the odd window then you don't need more than a backpack setup really.

Well I was thinking about having a tank in the van so if the back pack ran out I can pop back to the van and refill. Is the TDS meter to test pure water? Or the tap water?

You can get 25L drums for a fiver but a tank would be handier & easier to fill I'd admit. A TDS meter is used to test how far off being pure water the tap water as well as checking the DI resin is still useful, a TDS reading up to 150ppm means you can use DI vessels to bring down to 0-5ppm but if it's above 150ppm then you would really need a RO system which is a more costly initially.

He might be lucky and live in a soft water area. Have a look on the ppm map Joshua and you can guage if you're in a soft or hard water area.

He might be lucky and live in a soft water area. Have a look on the ppm map Joshua and you can guage if you're in a soft or hard water area.
Just had a look. Two people in Staffs, one is 240ppm and the other is 250ppm. Looks like you're in a hard area. Get a TDS meter to verify though.

Okay I'll give it ago my cars really starting to play up so new van is likely to come sooner rather then later, so hoping to get wfp at the beginning of April.

Only if to see if it's drying out spotty I guarantee you will look back /emoticons/biggrin.png

You'll be fully WFP before you know it, you won't look back. /emoticons/smile.png

Onwards and upwards as they say as you wont get a perfect job every day.../emoticons/biggrin.png

And yes I'm trying very hard @Tuffers to be top dog on the score board. Mind you I have a bit of an avantage over the other two as they don't post anymore:D

If you only want to do them windows you can't reach with trad ie above conservatory you really only need a backpack, a di with resin to make the water & a few jerry cans. You won't need that much water to just do them windows. Seems a lot to get a whole van set-up just to do a few windows unless yer gonna go fully wfp.

Only if to see if it's drying out spotty I guarantee you will look back /emoticons/biggrin.png
This is the reason why half my costumers hate wfp lol

If you only want to do them windows you can't reach with trad ie above conservatory you really only need a backpack, a di with resin to make the water & a few jerry cans. You won't need that much water to just do them windows. Seems a lot to get a whole van set-up just to do a few windows unless yer gonna go fully wfp.
Good point to be honest just seems logical to have it all set up, I'm thinking about using it on con roofs and maybe facias and soffets as its such hard work cleaning them by hand. Especially clear glass roofs on a sunny day grr

On my soffits & facias I use a Harris pole converted into a waterfed one which reaches 16-17ft with a brush on the end & just plug it into an outside tap. Don't wanna waste pure water on facias & soffits. My con roofs I do the same. My customers are just happy to have the dust & birds man utd cleared off it. I personally think that by doing con roofs with pure it makes em clean but within a week there filthy again with dust & birds man utd & they pay somet like £50-£60 for it.

There's a section in the DIY section telling you how to convert the Harris pole. A lot of us used em as our first wfp pole.

Back