Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Adding A Sand Filter (Maybe?)

D

DanC

Has anyone thought of or tried adding a sand filter to there system to help remove suspended solids from water before it hits the pre filters?

If anyone has tried this did it help in bringing down the ppm?

Here is a vid i found, would it be possible to add this to a DI vessel?

very interesting, Aha not heard that for years lol
Yeh thats what i thought sand is pretty cheap too!! Its used alot for swimming pools etc and in 3rd world lands to purify dirty water, not sure if this would work to bring down PPM though! Might be worth a try!

I've just tried an experiment and it actually increases the ppm on my harvested rainwater of 39 ppm upto 46 ppm

Might be that I used kiln dried sand (very fine sand) so some partials of sand got through the sock filter at the bottom of the small coke bottle I used.

I am also now conducting another test on my tap water which today is 322 ppm. Will see what happen when the rainwater is eventually flush through the sand so only tap water is being put through then I will take another reading..

1st experiment - rainwater reading 39 ppm went upto 46 ppm

2nd experiment now completed - Tap water reading from 322 ppm came down to only 316 ppm

Conclusion on my findings is that it would be an actually a waste of time adding a sand filter to a rainwater harvesting setup to try reduce the ppm of rainwater

Or would someone else want to prove me wrong?

1st experiment - rainwater reading 39 ppm went upto 46 ppm

2nd experiment now completed - Tap water reading from 322 ppm came down to only 316 ppm

Conclusion on my findings is that it would be an actually a waste of time adding a sand filter to a rainwater harvesting setup to try reduce the ppm of rainwater

Or would someone else want to prove me wrong?
With what i have been reading up on it you need to wash the sand first of all the dust.Filter sand has been ground to a size of .45 to .55 mm in diameter and is very rough when new. This roughness is what makes the sand efficient at filtering out the particles of dirt in your water. As this roughness is smoothed out - as stones in a stream wear smooth over time - your filter's efficiency goes down.

Did you use the right sand??

You neeed White Silica Filter Sand or Brown Filter Sand

any pool supply store will have it-its filtered sand clean of impurities

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE DIFFERENCE

For some reason i cant get the link i just found for filter sand to show, its a uk company its at ukpoolstore.co.uk

ALSO

Zeolitic filter media has a 5 - 7 years life expectancy.

Zeoclere gives you better water quality with water clarity 60% better than sand.

Zeoclere gives you softer water.

Removes high levels of ammonia and heavy metals

THATS THE EXPENSIVE ROUTE

Or you need

• 16/30 grade silica sand media.
  • Comes in 25KG Sacks.

Wow £18.98 for a bag of sand they must be kidding :laugh:
Yeh but look how long its meant to last, also its been purified, im going to give it a go, did you use a DI vessel?Also just found it for a tenner on ebay lol

also it removes 15 (microns) thats well good!!!

A magnetic filter built into you water system might be easier and less space is taken up.
Hmmm not heard of that one, ill look into that too. Once i get this idea up and runnig ill let ya all know my results, should have it up n running in a couple of weeks. Not sure if a DI vessel would work yet.

Back