Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Alternative neck injury solution

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Elliott

I've been getting neck and upper back issues for a while now. Then recently it extended into my shoulders and elbows. Since the begging of the year I've been getting seriously into rock climbing. This only exacerbated my issues. When previously the weekends were my only time spent not looking up, I was now looking up in the climbing centre as well while belaying my partner. Only in the climbing centre it's arguably worse and more severe angles you need to keep cranking your neck at! Not to mention the tendon and muscle tightness it creates.

I went to see a Sports Physio, explained everything, and with regular treatment I am starting to see improvements. Turns out I have trapped nerves in my neck and upper four vertebrae, which in turn sends muscles in my back shoulders and arms into spasm. As well as creating shooting pains in my elbows. And I'm pretty fit and stretch a lot! A solution needed to be found! If only it was possible to not look up at all!

I had looked at a NecProtech support brace. I was about to order one until at my last climbing session I saw a belayer wearing some funny looking glasses. Turns out they are common in climbing and allow the belayer to look up with out looking up. Quite literally!

I'll stop blabbing and give you the short(ish) version. I now have some. I bought these:

View attachment 2678

So you can see there basically how they work. They turned up Tuesday but I only managed to use them today as actually I've had a lot of pressure washing on this week. First impression are very good. All the reviews on line of various versions are very good. But they do all come from climbers. Not window cleaners! So it was a calculated guess that it would work for work too!

Good points:

Construction is extremely good quality and they feel solid. They come with a safety strap and removable arms where you can instead place an elasticated head strap. And a bullet proof case.

Clarity is amazing. You can really see detail in the window you're working on. Accuracy of your pole movements are unaffected. I could place the pole exactly where I wanted it no problem. The prisms are placed over the UV400 darkened lens so based on today's test they worked great in bright sunlight. No surprise there, they are built for climbers who go outdoors after all. And basically, it works! No cranking your head up to clean!

Bad points:

The refractions of the light created by the prisms and which are slightly beyond my full intellectual grasp, mean that when you turn your head so that you are no longer faced directly at the building, the entire building appears to tilt in that direction. You soon adapt. But it's odd. Very odd. It's like being on a large boat in rough sees. The horizon appears to tilt. Of course it doesn't. It's level. The boat tilts. But your brain is telling you the horizon is tilting. The building tilts in much the same way. If you get sea sick I can imagine this causing issues. Personally I don't and reviews had flagged this up before purchasing. All bełay glasses do it.

Cleaning at eye level is a bit of an issue. It's only one day so I'll give more views later. You can see around the prisms if you, ironically tilt your head, but that just feels annoying. So far I just put them on top of my head when doing downstairs. Worked fine. Not sure if it's my permanent option.

Not cheap. £65 + £10 delivery. Most bełay glasses are in this region. Not all are designed for outdoor use.

I don't necessarily intend to use them every day. But the Physio has pointed out how much looking up is my primary cause. Maybe I'll use them every other day. Maybe only in the afternoons. Maybe only on tough jobs and while belaying at weekends. At any rate, less looking up will help me a lot. So I may use them every day until I've got on top of the injuries and then use them to manage and prevent any reoccurrence.

You may not have my issues. But if you do, you might want to give a set a try. But good luck trying to find a pair that aren't online order only.

On a side note, if you're getting any issues in the regions I've mentioned. Don't ignore it like me. See a Physio sharpish. It will cost you less in the long run. She gave me a proper slap on the wrist for doing this job for ten years and never getting even a massage.

what a great idea and a top post many thanks./emoticons/smile.png..tuffers save it for bed time.....:rofl:

warming up before you start any major work is a good idea too....although i move very very slow..... in the morn:)

If I was making plenty dosh I would be getting a regular sports/ deep treatment massage, its great. I used to be a massage therapist, but its tough on the hands, my thumbs gave up, poking and proding all the time, therapists are probably in more pain than us, but they wont tell you. Overall I would definitely recommend a good deep treatment regularly, as it can help get rid of annoying muscle pain that has built up over time with the rigours of manual work. However it can be painful:gush:, but its worth it:thumbsup:.

I've used Belay Glasses and like Luke says, looking through the lenses while moving your head can cause motion sickness and/or even worse, can cause dizzy spells.

Any high work now, I just extend the pole more and stand further back.....no problem.

Thanks Bingo...:thumbsup:

Think I will just stick to wearing my necprotech after all then as a lot of jobs I wear a necprotech is for guttervac gutter clearing where most of the time I need to stand close to the building. Likewise when I'm constantly moving around washing down the outside of guttering, fascia & soffits etc using a wfp so the last thing I want is to start feeling ill.

I've used Belay Glasses and like Luke says, looking through the lenses while moving your head can cause motion sickness and/or even worse, can cause dizzy spells.Any high work now, I just extend the pole more and stand further back.....no problem.

Great post, but i think for window cleaning for me i would not use them just another thing to annoy me and lose my rhythm.

As for the necprotect i used mine for a few days and it seems to have taught me that the neck/shoulder pain is down to posture and positioning whilst using the pole not particularly looking up. I dont seem to get the pain any more but if i feel it creeping in i then wear the necprotect for a few hours and i'm fine again

I had surgery on my back a few years ago and i know i have another bulging disc further up so i am acutely aware of my posture at all times

Thanks Bingo...:thumbsup:
Think I will just stick to wearing my necprotech after all then as a lot of jobs I wear a necprotech is for guttervac gutter clearing where most of the time I need to stand close to the building. Likewise when I'm constantly moving around washing down the outside of guttering, fascia & soffits etc using a wfp so the last thing I want is to start feeling ill.
Hi smurf wheres best place to get the necprotech from ? and does it work and comfy to work with etc? cheers

Back