Really annoying new customer!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by haz24, Nov 27, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. haz24

haz24 Guest

Hi new here, just registered as I have come a cross this before but not had any problem from the customer.

I did a house with pvc windows which have these big fat black seals which leak a rich dark ink all over the frames and stick like a permanent marker would!

The woman moaned about it and i kind of see her point but its her windows which have caused the problem and i tried explaining to her that none of my other 100+ customers have this issue. Well I have one but its no were near as bad.

Anyway im going back in the morning with some white spirit to try and remove the black marks, she is goign to pay me for this as agreed but i will not be returning to her again.

I did a search on google for this problem but found next to nothing on it, I was hoping maybe some of you guys have come across this and how you dealt with it?

I clean windows the traditional way, the seals grip to the t bar as it moves across the glass and also gets my cloths and water filthy, i guess with time this will get better but for the sake of £12 I really dont care to return.

2. Masons

Masons Guru

Oct 18, 2011
    I've come across this a few times, and yes, it is one of the most annoying things possible.
    I've been lucky enough never to have a customer complain TO me about it, they complain but understand so I can see your frustration.
    See how it goes pal, maybe do another time after this no need to be rash about losing a job, unless you have enough elsewhere ofcourse.
  3. nearlyclean

Dec 20, 2010
    I had this problem and squirt of washimg up liquid or cif on the brush usually gets rid and then a really long scrub and rinse and this keeps it at bay for a while,it just build up of dirt in the seals and age were they start to break down,they will start to leak soon as the windows frames have come to the end of their life :)
  4. haz24

haz24 Guest

Well it took me about an hour and a half to do, the white spirit was useless and removed nothing, luckily i bought some upvc cleaner which helped a lot, it wasn't perfect but much better than how i left it.

If i ever come across this again for a new customer i will be sure to stop and point out the problem before continuing on.

All in all a complete **** up and wasted about 4 hours for the sake of £22.
    Oh well lesson learnt lol
  5. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

Tescos Daisy Kitchen Cleaner and a scouring sponge would have sorted that one mate. I always keep a few bottles of that (mainly for scrubbing kids scuff marks off of door frames)
  6. laddergarder

Nov 29, 2011
    I have had this a few times, the problem is that rubber exposed to light begins to oxidise over time and produces a oil. This is what you will be getting on your cloths ect. We generally refuse to do these as its a rare occurrence. Some times its not that bad and it will wash off your cloths. But there are the rare ones that will get everywhere.

The customer will be aware of this before they call you, more than likely there last window cleaner refused to do them because of this and they are chancing there luck with another window cleaner.

I had one guy that was gave me a bit of an unusual story about last window cleaner being abusive towards him for no reason, and he told him not to come back. I found his story a little fishy as there was no real detail to it, and didn't really know why he felt the need to tell me either. Anyway, gave him a quote and he accepted so got my ladders off, and started the job, and the oil was getting everywhere, all over my applicator and cloths, hands, squeegee handle.

I knocked his door and explained the situation, told him I would not charge him for the window that I already did, but that I would not complete the job. He actually started to complain that I was not completing the job. I explained that I would likely have to bin my applicator and cloths that I used.

I never went back to that customer, and was pretty sure he was at it, he know that there was a problem with his windows and was just chancing it.