Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Had a cancellation

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Philip

Had a cancellation today and find it quite a laugh. I've been doing his window for nearly a year always text the night before so the gate can be opened as he doesn't like me climbing his fence. He has found a window cleaner that can come on a specific DAY and TIME which I find really odd as things come up ie it's really bad weather or holidays. Some people will do anything to get work these days I can guarantee he will come back with his tail between his legs

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
When I started up, the biggest criticism of window cleaners wasn't the quality of work or the price they charged it was that customers never knew when to expect them. I don't say a time when I will call but each time I do a clean I leave a note for payment giving them the date of the next clean - any problems I text them. It's not difficult and works for me

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

I worked on a booking system for about the first 5 years in business. I let people choose there preferred day etc, on a day they would be in, which saved on collecting. I used to only do maybe 30 mins of collecting a week, for the few who didn't wait in. Customer loved it. But it only worked well when I was just starting out. The busier I got, the more hassle it was.

Because I had every minute booked out, if I had to move two days of work, through bad weather, I had no where to move them to. So they where starting to get shifted 2 and 3 weeks forward.

So I switched to working in a round based system, and doing evening collection. (moving everyone forward a day, if there is a day of disruption) Its more efficient, I dont worry about having to call and rebook 40 customers, to take two days off, I have more flexibility, and because everyone in one area get done at the one time, and dont spend so much time driving about.

Going by some youtube videos like 'window wars usa', it appears like a booking system it the more common thing across the Atlantic, however its bigger houses, getting cleaned inside and out, with screens & track cleaning etc, and they only get there windows cleaned a few times a year.

Over the years, I have lost hundred of clients, some pass way, some move, plenty of bad payers I've dropped, and the odd unhappy customer also. You wont please everyone. Just do your best, and if you only loss the odd customer now and then, you be fine.

I have more work than I know what to do with, new clients have far outstripped the odd ones I have lost, so when someone cancels, I just have the attitude of there loss. I maybe too busy if you change your mind down the line. (i dont actually say that to them). You never know when the tides will change. Just be polite, 'thanks for your business, here is my card if you change your mind' and move on.

The busier you get the more you have to be firm with people, it has to be your way or the high way. I text one last week tuesday for gate, got a text back, tomorrow is  a bad day as we are having work done on house, can you call thursday? nope sorry its tomorrow or back in 4 weeks. she wasnt right impressed. Another situation when cant get round back and you do front only and they moan, "you used to call back if i wasnt in". yes i know it was a noob mistake, sorry im too busy for that now. those that had set days or wanted a set time have to be told it cant happen anymore. 

It works at first when you have time to mess about but once you get busy you have to have a system and stick to it, if it means upsetting people and losing customers so be it.

I dont know how anyone can post a note and say ill be back in 4 weeks exactly to the day, that would be so restricting, what if weather is bad or van breaks down or more likely a nice big job comes up that delays you. Its all about start how you mean to go on, get them used to you being days or a week late and they will accept it. 

There is too many new start ups making big mistakes and letting the customer be in control. I know of one who works near me who tells his custys to phone him the night before they want him to clean .WTF is wrong with these people . And as for those that give em a date for the next clean . Fuggedaboutit. 

I have had a few that I txt the night before for to leave the gate opened and one sent back can you do it another day the weathers a bit bad, I said that's ok but il not be back round for another 4 weeks she changed her tune then haha. I tell them it's every 4 weeks give or take a day or 2 for bad weather.

I just say 'see you in roughly 6-7 weeks'. Got to be mad to give specific days, puts so much pressure on yourself. 

If I fancy a day off for fishing etc, I take it, doesn't 'throw my round out' in any shape or form.

the best I can say is about five weeks, then if i,m late i say oh sorry i,m late been held up with" what ever is in my head at the time"

I work hard try my best but try not to take the whole thing to serious.My thinking if you say five weeks does it really matter if your six weeks your only doing maintance cleans..

how is it going steve was you grafting today

odd this stevie sent you message went on to my last post 

whats all that about :3_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

done it again Duncs no likey

I did try and do specific days, failed miserably, doesn't work once you get half full. Only once I book in on a day is 1st clean

Last edited by a moderator:
When I started up, the biggest criticism of window cleaners wasn't the quality of work or the price they charged it was that customers never knew when to expect them. I don't say a time when I will call but each time I do a clean I leave a note for payment giving them the date of the next clean - any problems I text them. It's not difficult and works for me

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums
Totally agree. We've been doing it that way for nearly 5 years and never had to miss a date.
Pushes me out of bed in the morning as I'm a procrastinator. [emoji12]

Latest Posts

Back