Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Going on a water meter - end of the world?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

A few times in the past I have seen on here users worried about going on a water meter primarily about the costs.

I have just moved house to a property with a water meter and more importantly a garage - this is important as I can now build my static filtration system.

Now like the rest I was worried about going on a meter and the evil suppliers knowing how much aqua I was actually using.

Today whilst talking to Severn Trent, my local supplier, I endeavored to ask how much they charge per m3 (that's 1000L or 1 x IBC Tank to you and I)

The cost per m3 is £2.43 at present and going down to £2.34 as of the first of March. No I didn't miss a decimal point off any of those. Now don't forget at 140ppm my waste to pure ratio on my RO is 1-1 so 1000L of pure is 2000L water total. as of 1st March £4.68 per 1000L of pure.

Now I never really measured how much water I use in the past as I was not on a meter but I do know full well I can easily do 20 residential properties on 500L and have water to spare.

The break down is as follows 40 properties per 1000L of pure (£4.68 of water charge) at my mean average of £16 per house that's £640 income from £4.68 of water costs.

I don't know about you but that seems pretty reasonable to me.

I just spoke with the accountant regarding claiming for my water, he says if I try to claim all of it they will want an accurate breakdown of how much is personal usage and how much is business usage. However, the way around this is I will be fitting a water meter prior to the RO. A photograph on the day of installation and then a photo every billing cycle will cover the tax returns requirements should any further proof of my claim be required.

All in not a huge expense on the daily running of a business.

Hope you find this helpful. All Severn Trent customers pay £2.34 per m3. To find out what your water supplier charges just call customer service and ask how much they charge per meter cubed.

I've been on one before, funilly enough is the first question I ask when moving and viewing a house. [emoji3].

Can't say that there is really much difference using around a 1000ltr a week.

I put all of my water bill through my accounts and the company pays it to start with. [emoji106].

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

With sewerage charges costing more than supply water I calculated it cost me about 1p per litre of pure to make including resin costs. My water is 470ppm.

You can fit a sub meter that they don't charge you sewerage on, or so I was told, i fitted one and I still got charged but on top of that they tried to charge me vat too as I'm a business.

Window Cleaner Chelmsford Chelmsford Cleaning Services

Back