Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buy With Confidence Scheme.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HotWash Window Cleaners

I am thinking of joining my local council trading standards scheme.

Has anyone else joined?

If so, has it made much difference to your business and the work you get?

If you wouldn't join I would like to hear why not.

I was registered with the local council for window cleaning work.

As a single trader it was a waste of time for me. With each quote we had to supply a VAT number and bank statements to prove the equity of the company. We also had a give scurity for £50k for one small job (it varied with the value of the job) as well as being insured for 8 million at the time. As they didn't seem to believe that there were soletraders, they also wanted copies of employers liability insurance.

The job was to clean a block of council offices on a contract for the following year (max 3 hours work a clean), but the interval between cleans would be at the council’s discretion. Also had to be done out of hours. I got the first years membership for free, and then they hounded me for a renewal.

I didn't get anything from it. It seemed as though the contract was written to keep new tenderer's out. I wasn't asked for risks assessment or working method statements, but I'm sure that would be the norm today. I guess they would also want a certificate to prove you can clean windows, which we wouldn't have had back then.

The joke was that we were already cleaning a school, council offices and a council run nursery school at the time and being paid by the council without any of this malarkey.

Waste of time hogwash,I've got council work,schools etc use a squeegee and have cold water system and I'm not a member hogwash.

Waste of time the gwash,I've got council work,schools etc use a squeegee and have cold water system and I'm not a member hogwash.
Next time you are at the school cleaning, if you clean them properly you might realise how badly you are reading year 5 English off the board, and mistaking your T's for g's.

I teach you how to use squeegee if you work on your lack of knowledge of the English language.

Once again numpty I will have to move to your town and put you out of business with my hot wash.

You don't even know me pal and who your talking to.I've been using a squeegee since a kid and wfp for 20 years.

Don't like the way you come across to other people ,you think your better than everyone on here.go away country boy.

Just seen how long you been cleaning windows lol.i look forward to my monkey at next cleaning show.

Make sure you have it because don't like being owed money.

Agree H,well said.could the moderater

Please have a word with hogwash,banter gone a bit to far.

Threatened to put me out of business.like to see him try lol.but his attitude to people on here who are on a budget unlike myself stinks.

I come on here to learn and advise,unlike him.

Both of you stop it please, hot wash and adyspurs.. If you can't be nice to each other then don't talk to eachother. We don't want the forums full of arguments. So please take this as a verbal warning, anymore of the bad mouthing and you will both receive a warning. Thanks lads

I am thinking of joining my local council trading standards scheme.Has anyone else joined?

If so, has it made much difference to your business and the work you get?

If you wouldn't join I would like to hear why not.
Yes very good scheme to join if they promote. Our local Council promotes it in a big way so works well for traders.

But there are strict guide lines in joining, you are vetted in all areas to make sure you are trading legit.

i find its not what you know but who you know with the council round our way. do some digging and find someone you know involved, i find this is the best way to get your foot in the door,

Latest Posts

Back