Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van contingency plan

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dmw

I've been wfp for a couple of months now, both van and system running fine, building up speed, building up spares, changed resin successfully etc.

However, what if I had a major van/system failure?

If you were going to be off work while repairs take place how do you make a crust?

Having thought about this I would probably go back tradding for the duration with the family car, and rent a small van for my wife to use ( she's got a dog walking business).

What would you guys do?

I've been wfp for a couple of months now, both van and system running fine, building up speed, building up spares, changed resin successfully etc.However, what if I had a major van/system failure?

If you were going to be off work while repairs take place how do you make a crust?

Having thought about this I would probably go back tradding for the duration with the family car, and rent a small van for my wife to use ( she's got a dog walking business).

What would you guys do?
or get a backpack and barrels and rent a small van and do it that way, always good to have a backpack as a backup/to do backs of mid terrace houses

or get a backpack and barrels and rent a small van and do it that way, always good to have a backpack as a backup/to do backs of mid terrace houses
Yes Clisty, I've got a Gardiner backpack under the stairs haven't used it yet as the van mount works fine, but I see what you mean I can get some more barrells and go at it that way.

Earlier this year I had to hire a van to move some stuff and got one from Europcar for less than £100 for the week. So it's affordable. Thanks pal.

My advice is to work hard now and build up a contingency fund. Its heading toward summer and this should be easier with longer daylight hours.

There will be days in winter when you can't work. I remember we hardly did anything for 6 weeks when we had that harsh winter 5 or so years ago. So in some parts of the country that's more of a challenge than mechanical breakdown.

Usually most mechanical breakdowns can be fixed within a few days. What can be a real issue is if the van is damaged or written off in an accident as that can take months to get sorted out by the insurance companies. One of the local lads found that out when his van was hit by a Polish driver. There are insurance companies that will arrange for a replacement wfp van in cases like this provided this is included in the premium.

These days most spares are next day delivery. I have a stack of spares in my office I have bought just in case we have a breakdown. These include a spare pump and controller and hose reel spares. They have been lying around for more than 5 years.

Our main spares usage over the years has been Hozelok connectors, Hozelok connector rubber O rings, EZ Snap pole and hose connectors and those O clips of various sizes. We also have a couple of spare angle adaptors. I've also built up a second hand collection as well; brush holder mountings and jets from old brushes etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a towbar put on the family car, as I have a small trailer, 4x3 in case I had serious van issues, as I have a pile of barrels from my trolley system that I could use.
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
One of the local lads I know has done this for years. Has a trailer with barrels hitched to his family car and works from that.

Yes I had some eezy snap fittings and o rings delivered the other day, as a breakage can wreck your day, so as you suggest I'm starting to build up an arsenal of spares to try and cover most eventualities, and a wfp loan van could be worth the extra premium.

I remember that winter tradding 5 years or so ago (we're on the edge of the Pennines) and seeing -13 on the temp gauge first thing and then going out and the squeegee freezing on the glass because it was still -5 !

So I have learned to put a bit aside for the bad times. Which we always get.

Many thanks Spruce.

I had a towbar put on the family car, as I have a small trailer, 4x3 in case I had serious van issues, as I have a pile of barrels from my trolley system that I could use.
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I have a small trailer on my drive and used it for camping for years, however we don't camp any more and when we changed cars I never had a towbar fitted.

So I could put one on our current car I suppose.

Cheers.

Yes I had some eezy snap fittings and o rings delivered the other day, as a breakage can wreck your day, so as you suggest I'm starting to build up an arsenal of spares to try and cover most eventualities, and a wfp loan van could be worth the extra premium.I remember that winter tradding 5 years or so ago (we're on the edge of the Pennines) and seeing -13 on the temp gauge first thing and then going out and the squeegee freezing on the glass because it was still -5 !

So I have learned to put a bit aside for the bad times. Which we always get.

Many thanks Spruce.

We are on the North East coast so don't get the extremes of temperatures you guys get. It was a wake up call for us as we have never experienced anything like it before.

I also wouldn't like to go back to trad cleaning off ladders in those temperatures either.

My van was in the panel beaters last year for a week for some rust removal. It was a pain trying to work out of my son's van which is a single operator system. But we do have that as a backup. With a few quick mods I can add an extra pump and controller and the 2 of us can work off that we difficulty.

One of the local guys had an injector failure on his 03 plate MB Vito quite a number of years ago. He did as much as he could traditionally from his car and we used my van for a couple of days a week to do the other stuff. His van was off the road for about a month as they had to remove the cylinder head and heat it up to get the seizured injector out, a process that takes several days of gradual heating and cooling to prevent the head from warping.

We are on the North East coast so don't get the extremes of temperatures you guys get. It was a wake up call for us as we have never experienced anything like it before.I also wouldn't like to go back to trad cleaning off ladders in those temperatures either.

My van was in the panel beaters last year for a week for some rust removal. It was a pain trying to work out of my son's van which is a single operator system. But we do have that as a backup. With a few quick mods I can add an extra pump and controller and the 2 of us can work off that we difficulty.

One of the local guys had an injector failure on his 03 plate MB Vito quite a number of years ago. He did as much as he could traditionally from his car and we used my van for a couple of days a week to do the other stuff. His van was off the road for about a month as they had to remove the cylinder head and heat it up to get the seizured injector out, a process that takes several days of gradual heating and cooling to prevent the head from warping.
Having your van off the road for a month doesn't bear thinking, but it can happen to any of us(new or old vans).

As a one man band I've only got myself to worry about, thankfully you had your son's van to help out, it just annoyingly messes your routine up, which none of us like.

I'm erring on the side of hire van, back pack and barrells. And my wife continues to use the car as we'll need another vehicle anyway.

I work so local that if my van died i could walk or jump on a bus and do all my domestics trad pole in the interim

A skill worth having

I work so local that if my van died i could walk or jump on a bus and do all my domestics trad pole in the interimA skill worth having
I work a 5 mile radius, so might have a job getting me ladders on the bus lol.

I've been wfp for a couple of months now, both van and system running fine, building up speed, building up spares, changed resin successfully etc.However, what if I had a major van/system failure?

What would you guys do?
If you are insured with Alexander swan they have replacement vans with systems in that you can use whilst yours is being repaired think it costs about £70 a year very good value for money give Sarah a ring for a quote

If you are insured with Alexander swan they have replacement vans with systems in that you can use whilst yours is being repaired think it costs about £70 a year very good value for money give Sarah a ring for a quote
I've heard of these so I'll ask for a quote come renewal. Less than a normal weeks van rental. Thanks.

I do about a 5 mile radius too but i wouldn't bother with ladders for once over my round hence saying being able to trad on a pole is a handy skill

I work a 5 mile radius, so might have a job getting me ladders on the bus lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do about a 5 mile radius too but i would bother with ladders for once over my round hence saying being able to trad on a pole is a handy skill
I'm still getting to grips with it, very useful for shop fronts

Just takes practice mate

I need to brush up a bit as i have a school at half term that is all ground floor but just out of reach at the top of the windows

A day and a bit of just tradding with no ladders or wfp

Can't wait

I work so local that if my van died i could walk or jump on a bus and do all my domestics trad pole in the interimA skill worth having
What? Being able to walk and jump on a bus? Very skillfull :rofl:/emoticons/biggrin.png

Latest Posts

Back